Shower conundrum with PICTURES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Updating my previous post:

Here are some pictures to show the problem.

I have a shower tray thats ideally going to be level to the floor. I cannot find a qquadrant plinth kit for the MIRA shower. Its because the tray is a quadrant.

I hoped someone might have had the same problem and found a way around it. I am trying to avoid mounting the trap too low (I cant put it below the soil pipes top level). I do have to go low though as the shower tray will be at floor level.

Here is the en-suite room in the picture showing the layout
DSC00764.JPG

Here you can see the old trap and the new trap (in its packet) and the soil pipe in the floor. You can see I have 15mm copper pipes in the floor that will stop the trap just dropping down nicely. Even if it could do that, I don't think I could get a joint in (with top of the trap at floor level) and connect to the existing boss thats shown with the old trap and waste going into it.

DSC00762.JPG

The old shower had a plinth so the old trap and waste are all setup for a height thats above the floor level. I need to go under the floor, but it looks like I cant then get the clearance on the soil pipe ?

DSC00763.JPG

Would it be possible to run along parallel and breach the pipe later on somewhere ? How do I block the old boss up ? Any other idea. THe cleanest way would be to have no plinth and the tray at floor level. This means putting the trap under the floor. I could do this just with bending the pipes about. Then I have to find an exit for the waste from the trap. The existing soil pipe takes up the whole of the under floor space, is there another way to get the waste out ?

Also is there perhaps a slimline trap of some sort. I have a little bit of space to play with and can cut different parts of the floor out.

I just want as easy a time as possible installing it. I don't want to find that in a months time soil from the toilet next to the shower floods up the waste into the shower. Thats what worries me about going too low on the pipe.

Any ideas anyone for this dilemma.

Howard

TX

Howard

Sponsored Links
yes, well forget about taking the shower into the horizontal soil pipe. It looks like that the way it has been done contravenes regulations.

I suggest looking up the regulations or getting advice from someone who can survey the job.

Which wall is the external wall? I would run the shower waste in a separate run through the external wall and connect into the waste stack outside. The route must ensure you dont have to cut through the joists too much for strength reasons.
I installed a similar quadrant shower at floor level, however make sure the floor is rigid enough so you wont get leaks between the tiles and tray. I used marine ply screwed to the floor, this raised the shower by 18mm but it still looks floor level to the eye.

Your last idea is the correct way. You need to run the shower waste along to the vertical stack and join there, so where is that? I assume the new trap sits in the area where the copper pipes are because if it's the other side of that first joist as you would be removing too much if you wanted to cross it. Obviously the copper pipes will need moving.

Sponsored Links
htgeng said:
yes, well forget about taking the shower into the horizontal soil pipe. It looks like that the way it has been done contravenes regulations.

Can you explain why it contravenes regs please :)

Well I thought it did as well because I thought the regs asked that a discharge branch should join a discharge stack. If he joins below the floor level as proposed then surely that is worse, with the risk of the shallow shower trap losing it's seal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back