shower cubical mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.

we have a shower cubical fitted inside a fitted wardrobe space in the bedroom, but we keep getting mould build-up on the ceiling in there, the tiles / shower tray / shower door are ok, but the ceiling seems to get quite bad.

theres an extractor fan in there that switches off 5-10mins after the showers off, so that should be getting rid of the steam etc...

anything else i could try?

or is there some sort of white paint we can use thats mould-free or something?? (long shot).

Sponsored Links
You should not get mould if there is close-by extraction. Have you checked the loft to ensure that there is insulation to the upper side of the ceiling? It may be a cold spot, which will not help

There is paint (marketed as kitchen and bathrooom paint), but this mainly relies on being more water-proof than normal emulsion You could try it after treating the mould. But wiping the ceiling after the shower may still be required

It may be just due to how the shower is used, so as a last resort, I would completely treat the mould - rub off and apply fungicide, and then fit a sheet of PVCu or acrylic to the ceiling. This will give a wipeable surface which should not allow mould to grow

cheers for replying mate.

thinking about it, i don't think there is any insulation above it, and it only affects the ceiling to the external wall, so probably is a cold spot.

will get some insulation over the week and place some around.

plus will get it all treated and re-painted.

cheers again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back