Shower cubicle and tiling options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon people,

Looking to fit a small corner shower cubicle and I'm just wondering what my best options are for making it totally waterproof (or as near as possible).

I've heard of 'tanking kits', but also there's Marmox board, Aquapanel etc. What's my best option, using one of these tanking kits on normal plasterboard, or using one of these waterproof/resistant tile backer boards....or even using a tanking kit on the backer boards?

Or is there another way?

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I recently did one in my en-suite. I used Aquapanel cement boards fitted with ceramic screws. I then used Kerdi membrane over the cement boards to make it totally water tight.

The Kerdi over cement backboards is probably overkill but it only cost about another £100 in total and wasn't hard to install and now my shower is completely waterproof. The shower I took out had lots of mold on the plasterboard so I want to make sure it was done properly this time.

Aqualpanel or Hardibacker will probably be the best option but if you don't want to tear down the existing plasterboard otherwise you can tank the existing.

I'm liking the idea of those shower wall panels, for some reason I assumed the only panels available would be white plastic and look horrific.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a combination of shower wall panel, shower base fitted with tiling upstands and a good quality silicon sealant.
The base should be set into the wall to align the face of the upstand flush with the plaster face, then the wall panel is stuck to the wall with the bottom of the panel sitting below the edge of the upstand. This means that the water can not run down the back of the shower base, even if the seal leaks. the gap between the panel and base is sealed with silicon. Select, or cut, the panel to cover the full width of the shower base, so that the enclosure is fitted to the face of the panels and seal the enclosure to the panel.
I like the Multipanel panels, used with the metal internal corner profile and end caps, used in conjunction with Dow Corning 785 sealant. I would also suggest adding a PVCu quadrant along the bottom, over the panel-to-base joints, just to make it tidy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back