Best bathroom ceiling material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best material for a bathroom ceiling?
Is it better to use water resistant plasterboards over standard cement plasterboards?
Or would it be better to go one step further and use a completely waterproof tile backer boards?

Sponsored Links
Bog standard plasterboard will be fine for a bathroom. After plastering apply a coat of Leyland Trade acrylic primer and two coats of a quality waterbased eggshell. That should be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
Duplex boards if there is a loft above.

Why do you need a foil backed plasterboard if the bathroom ceiling is painted with a "moisture proof" paint? Or do you mean that the temperature of the room will result in moisture in the loft cavity forming on the upper face of the plasterboard? I am not disagreeing with you, but I honestly cannot recall seeing an issue in insulated lofts.

Why do you need a foil backed plasterboard if the bathroom ceiling is painted with a "moisture proof" paint? Or do you mean that the temperature of the room will result in moisture in the loft cavity forming on the upper face of the plasterboard? I am not disagreeing with you, but I honestly cannot recall seeing an issue in insulated lofts.
Bathroom = loads of vapour. It makes lots of sense to prevent that vapour travelling into a freezing cold, well insulated loft.

Bathroom = loads of vapour. It makes lots of sense to prevent that vapour travelling into a freezing cold, well insulated loft.

Fair call, but what if the paint used acts as a barrier?

Fair call, but what if the paint used acts as a barrier?
I've not come across paint that you speak of, nor should a builder assume everyone is going to use such a paint. Nowt wrong with the belt & braces approach either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back