Shower Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Remember my post re the shower?

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/pipe-diameter-advice.326795/page-8

I've just had another plumber round to look at the job with a view to getting the shower working.

Apart from the fact that the other guy took the HW off the expansion pipe in the loft (apparently it should have come off the cylinder), the plumber reckons:

The shower will need a pump.

The CW tank will need replacing.

The cylinder is too small.

He says he could fit a direct cylinder for £1500 then there would be water under pressure.

My head hurts again. Can you help me please?

Sponsored Links
Depending on your mains flow and pressure the "direct" cylinder (= unvented cylinder) would be a better option than a new vented cylinder,pump and cold water tank, at least you can be guaranteed a decent shower.

I know I'm not comparing like with like, either job or price-wise, but if I'm going to invest in a new cylinder on a gravity system with an ageing boiler, might it be better to put that £1500 into a new Combi boiler?

I feel for ya, here we go again!

If you fit an unvented, you should get your cold water incoming main upgraded to 22 mm or greater if it is only 15 mm

If you have 18 plus ltrs min and good pressure on the 15 mm you could fit it but would have a reduced performance

Your incoming main and pressure would need to be checked to see if it is suitable for a combi.

How big is your hot water tank
How big is your cold water tank
I think from a previous thread a pump was recommended ?

Maybe get a couple more plumbers around to quote, did this one measure your incoming flow and pressure? If so what was it?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, a pump was recommended, but the plumber we had said that would need a new tank and the cylinder is too small too... Plus, the loft hatch may be too small for the new tank, so it's ll adding up.....

If only I could get the old shower valve out of the skip....

Come back, all is forgiven!

We're having a few round to quote but none seem to want to offer advice on the shower. I have to decide what I want to do then get back to them when I've decided... how can I decide?????

They should be able to give advice on the shower, direct them as you are the client, if they can't, would you want them.

I think it was mentioned before, to add a other tank to your existing cold.

Inlet into the first tank, link the two small tanks and then outlet on the second.

What is the height and diameter of your hot tank (or is the size on a sticker stuck to the side

What is the height, width, length of your cold tank

Phone salamander tech with this info and they will tell you whether they are big enough, or the size you do need, also the best pump to suit your needs and anything to do with how to Plumb it correctly.

That way you are hearing it straight from the horses mouth. This is all they deal with.

Terry

The cyl says 42 x 16 IND on it.

Cold I will check....

If i asked you round to quote for a new socket and said you would have to tell me where to pick up the power, what size cable, how to join it and how to wire the socket in, and then I'll fit it.

I would say to you if I knew all that I wouldn't be paying you, are you a spark or not a spark.

What a bunch of muppets

You don't live next door to a six week plumbing college do you?

Salamander tech 0191 516 2002

If you tell me the height from the bottom of your cold tank to the shower head I will find out the details and what you need

It is just the shower you want to pump isn't it?

I suppose I could go to Stockport College and do a 6 weeker... ;)

I need to go in the loft and measure the existing tank.

If the existing tank is as high up as it will go, and I am considering changing it, replacing it with a coffin type would give more head, wouldn't it?

Scrub that last bit....

I thought my old tank was deeper.

Old tank H - 465mm, L 630mm, D 480mm. Smaller than a 25 gallon one.

Plumber said I needed 100 gallon, which is 580mm high, if I use a coffin.

So, I'll lose head....

Existing tank has just 1 metre between tank bottom and shower head.

Salamander tech have said

Your hot warred tank is fine

Your cold water tank needs to be upgraded to at least 50 gallons

How big is the shower head and are you looking at putting the pump below the cylinder or above?

Above 6 inch round shower head or below six inch

securespark";p="2445280 said:
I suppose I could go to Stockport College and do a 6 weeker... ;)

If you do the seven week course you will be able to give advice on here :LOL: :LOL:

So, need 50 gallon, not 100.

Thanks.

The shower head is just a bog standard one on the end of a flexihose that came with the Triton valve.

It is just the shower I would want to pump.

The pipework would need altering so the HW feed is not coming off the expansion pipe... :rolleyes:

The pump normally goes next to the cylinder doesn't it?

With the size of your shower head you could fit a rsp50 a rhp 75
Or a ct50 ( smallest but cheapest)all salamander pumps

If the pump is below the cylinder you could fit an Essex flange or Surrey flanged and then down to the pump.

Take a dedicated feed off of the cold tank down to the pump, then pipe up and over to the shower with two auto air vents at the highest point

I would consider a 70 gallon tank if you have the room, but tech say 50 is enough

Tadah :p

Hopefully all your troubles are at an end, but going by previous posts I have a feeling that by the time everybody else gets home from work and adds their two penith, it wall all go to the wall again.

This is why I followed salamanders tech info and not just what I might recommend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back