Shower Door

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!

I installed a pivot shower door from Wickes a few months ago and there's been a problem which is progressively getting worse.

When first fitted you had to push the door slightly closed, then open it a bit and then push it again to close it. I presumed this was to due to air being moved by the door.

However it has now got to the stage where the door will not gently close on its own (i.e. by the force of the magnetic strip), you have to really push it or pull from the inside.

The problem seems to be at the bottom of the door.

The vertical and horizontal planes the door is fixed to are plumb/level so it's either,

A) In need of adjustment

or

B) A sh!te door

As I'm currently at work I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone's had a similar problem and could offer a solution.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the hinges/pivots have sagged or worn a bit.

Does it have a pivot pin in the door that goes into a socket in the foot of the frame?

If so, can you see any means of adjustment?

If not, lift the door pin out of the socket, and put in a washer or two (plastic or brass so it can't rust) and the door will be raised by the thickness of the washers.

It is also worth emailing Wickes customer support who will probably be able to contact the manufacturer for you, there may be a known problem.

Its probably out of square.

Adjust it until you get it to close by trial and error.

I had the same problem with a Wickes cubicle too. :(

I'm not too sure if this is the problem.

Should have explained the install in my 1st post.

The door is fitted in an alcove as opposed to on a tray. All three surfaces the door is in contact with (i.e. two walls and the step into the shower) are square.

I will double check this though Bahco, thanks for the advice ;)

Sponsored Links
Not being arsey at all Bahco.

Oh and don't call me son

(now that was arsey! 100% joking though :oops: )

Bon said:
I installed a pivot shower door from Wickes...
So there's yer problem.

...a few months ago and there's been a problem which is progressively getting worse.
You've done well for it to last that long. You gets what you pays for.

As a temporary fix, you could try a smear of silicone grease (or vaseline) along the parts that rub. (No, not those parts, I mean the shower door).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back