Shower dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any ideas why my shower head is dripping randomly? And the best way fix it?

it’s happening about every 15 mins, drips about 20 drips and then stops.

No heating on in the house at the time, no one running/stopping water.

Basic answers please, I’m no DIY expert! Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it repeatedly starts dripping every 15 minutes without anyone using the shower for hours, then the shower/shower valve is faulty.
What sort of shower do you have?
A mixer valve on wall or attached to bath, - or an electric shower that heats water or a digital shower?
Combi boiler or stored hot water? would be a good start to help us understand what you have.

Hi thanks for the reply. It’s mixer on the wall using a combi boiler. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s from the bath store I can’t see a model.

3CD98241-8CF6-43F4-8BB2-48548EEB8C02.jpeg
9F06FDBF-3DA0-4E86-A8B1-3E14F1709D4D.jpeg

Looks like it's Bathstores own make. It might just be a rubber washer not seating correctly. Try without much force turning it off more.

Is the on and off valve 1/4 turn? If so then you need a new valve. Sounds like the valve is passing very slightly and it's taking the 15minutes for the weight of water to overcoming the resistance of the shower head.

The valve actually has a hard stop so tightening isn’t possible.

The valve is more like half a turn from off to full on but your explanation makes sense about the slow build up.

How easy is it to replace the valve? I’m up for a bit of DIY but only if it’s quite straight forward. I have nothing to loose (except potentially a flood!) as have a second shower if it breaks.

How is your hot water supplied? Seen if you can find any isolation valves to the shower valve... Under the bath/behind the wall/in the loft etc. Then you can remove the valve and get the pipe centre dimensions.

Not that difficult if you can source the valve. I'd get in touch with Nickles directly and ask if they do replacement ceramic valves for their showers.

Ok thanks, I’ll take a look on YouTube to decide if I can do it myself.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back