Shower Enclosure - cleaning Clearshield glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've installed a new shower enclosure with Clearshield glass protection. It is advised to only use soapy water to clean it. Even with the protection the glass already has mild water marks and soap definitely doesn't remove limescale from the frame.
The manufacturer only recomends Ritec cleaning products only available online at high cost. Can anyone confirm that these products are the only safe cleaners to use? Or can I use eg Cif, Mr Muscle or even vinegar? I've seen other shower manufacturers using glass protection who say normal bathroom products are OK.

Sponsored Links
Hi JICMS,

On my daugthers enclosure i installed i used one called shower guard, she bought it,i was less keen but it did the trick for her she seems pleased, http://www.wdbathrooms.co.uk/bathroom-accessories/shower-care.html, it was abit of a pain spraying it on but worth it. think they advise against mr muscle as it can dis colour your seals etc after a couple of years but just stick with less harsh cleaning stuff and im sure it will be ok.

Hi

The Shower Guard you mention sounds like another brand of glass protection similar to the Clearshield factory-applied coating on our enclosure glass.

I'm unsure what cleaner to use for everyday cleaning.
What is determined to be a mild cleaner? The limescale will still build up on the frame, taps and tiles.

I have a similar query about what to use to clean our matt porcelain floor tiles. We sealed them with LTP Mattstone. They have another product called Waxwash but it's £12 a can?

I realise this is "barn door" advice but why not fit a filter to remove lime before it reaches the shower head?

Without knowing exactly what "glass" you have and the composition of any plastic surrounds, I can't advise on cleaning, other than to try a very weak solution of whatever.

Sponsored Links
I did look into installing a water softener. There wasn't room in our under-sink cupboard due to the disposal; it would have had to go outside in a box - eyesore! Then they realised we had two mains inlets so would have had to have a second machine in the garage to soften the washing machine and downstairs cloakroom!

I think it's manufacturers' jargon to cover themselves to recommend mild soap for bathrooms, damp cloths to clean ovens (yes I'm serious) - obviously we'll have to use oven cleaner and hope for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back