Spraying shower enclosure (aluminium)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The previous homeowner did not look after the shower enclosure very well it seems they may have used some corrosive type cleaning products because it seems to have eroded the “polished aluminium” (finish confirmed by the manufacturer - Merlyn)

I was wondering if anybody had some advice on some type of chrome type spray I could use to jazz it up a little and bring it back to life

to take out this particular piece and replace it would be too much work because of the silicon and fixings to the wall and removing the glass panels

I would like to just give it a better look for now though if possible - remember I will be spraying over polished aluminium -
And whatever I use needs to be water resistant and handle limescale type cleaner that I use (kilrock)

Attachments

• B73986C4-BFF8-42DE-AC53-1DD8F2DD3081.jpeg
    B73986C4-BFF8-42DE-AC53-1DD8F2DD3081.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Not something that I have ever tried.

I believe that it is anodised aluminium. You may need to use an etching primer first.

https://www.sunrise-metal.com/painting-anodized-aluminum/

To be honest, I don't know if it is cost effective. Additionally you will need to cut away any existing silicone and remove all traces of the old silicone before spraying. That alone is very time consuming. I have no idea how long any finish applied form spray cans will last. Sorry, I appreciate that my answer isn't the one you wanted.

Others might be able to provide a more durable option.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back