Shower enclosure door too large

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I ordered a shower door - one of these bi-fold doors - back in May. Unfortunately hurt my back while receiving delivery of shower panels at same time and am only now ready and able to start fitting door.

I'd ordered one of these flexible sizes - 724mm to 760mm. Found out today that after fitting shower panels we only have 715mm at top and only just 720mm at bottom which are both too small for door.

I wondered about trying to trim aluminium frame but am hesitant as it is such along stretch and don't want to damage doors.

As it is four months after I ordered, shop won't give a straight refund but will offer an exchange assuming I can ship it back in original packaging (I've got this though it hasof coursebeen opened.) Only thing is they are out of stock of smaller door which will only go up to 700mm so I would need a spacer between frame and shower panel...

Any suggestions...

Mark

:(

Sponsored Links
If the shower door Frame comes apart you could trim it on the ends of the,cross members top and bottom only if they will fit back together after cutting the ends off, but if you are thinking of cutting all the way down the side of the upright, I think this will look a mess. Could you cut back shower panels so you gain the thickness of the panels each side. I could give better advice if you could post a photo. You could send it back but the replacement isn't ideal.

I bought a corner shower enclosure with a sliding door made for a 1200mm tray,
With the intention of not using the side.
(saved me £100...)

After tiling the gap was a little tight, so I took an angle grinder to the side skirts.
Worked a treat.

Hi Jason & CC,

Thanks for your advice. In the end a friend came round and together we measured and worked out that it would be best to trim to full edge of the aluminium frame.

It was not ideal and now the plastic seal that runs down where the door closes is being pushed in by the outer section but I may be able to resolve this by use of a hair dryer...

Anyway, the door fits.

We used leftover polystyrene inside the frame while cutting it to stop it vibrating. Also a new hacksaw blade, though even with that it still took a while to cut the full length.

Looking at it, it is not obvious the doorframe has been trimmed now the outers are on.

Mark

Sponsored Links
I was out of time to get a refund for the door but the online store would have exchanged the door or given me a credit note.

Below is a picture of the cut frame:

I would imagine the cutting the shower panels back would also have worked... if I hadn't already glued them to the walls...

Live and learn!

Missed opportunity to play with an angle grinder :mrgreen:

Quick tickle with a file after and it'll look factory,
Failing that a bead of silicone hides all(!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back