Shower Fire - Explanation Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I awoke this morning to a familiar burning smell. It was originating from the bathroom, specifically the shower. Which my son was using at the time.

I isolated it immediately at the pull cord string then at the fusebox. The surface of the plastic shower housing was extremely hot. I removed the cover to reveal a couple of melted wires.

The shower is about 5 years old. I refitted it a couple of months ago, before that it hadn't been used for a couple of years as I had removed it when I started refitting the bathroom. Its been fine since the refit until now.

I don't think water has gotten into it, although I cant rule this out as I wasn't in the shower. Even if that were the case though I don't think it could cause this issue could it?

Presumably something has caused it to use up a much higher current that the 2 melted wires can stand. Please can someone advise what may have caused this. Is it a common problem?

Sponsored Links
Quite common where you have heavy current flow and resistive (poor connection) connection

Think you are right DP. I have been looking at other forums that all mention poor connections. I just checked the terminal closest to the melted wires and it is a bit loose.

I'm guessing that this would have been a gradual process, each time it got hot it would have loosened a bit more each time?

That can happen with second hand/used applianes.
Sorry you have missed some basic tests.even i would try the tightness of all electrical posts/connections before allowing my family or property be in same building.
Fella,we live and learn.

Sponsored Links
Hope you have informed your neighbours/insurance company and family,as you are putting your property and family at risk.
Anyway.do it right or leave it.

That can happen with second hand/used applianes.
Sorry you have missed some basic tests.even i would try the tightness of all electrical posts/connections before allowing my family or property be in same building.

Johnnojob, It is not the screw that is loose but OP speculating. Look at the picture again and look at the wires. I take it you would remove all the wires and recrimp them using a caliberated crimper and fit new locking washers. Might even be the overheat stat that is caused the wires to burn.

johnnojob - I fail to see the point you are trying to make. I posted on this forum for advice and help, which 99.9% of the time is fantastic. You don't appear to be offering any positive contribution.

For your info, I fitted this unit (initially from new then again at a later date) as per all the manufacturing instructions, which were pretty straight forward and from a very reputable company - Triton. In a nut shell the instructions guided me to wire up to the the connecting block, attach the earth and connect the pipe. No where in the instructions did it tell me to tighten all the connections that were made at the manufacturing stage. Neither did it tell me to test each of the components on the main board, which is something I'm sure you would do as a matter of course, as well as testing the all of the soldered joints.

When I come to replace this unit, I will double check all of the high voltage clamps and connectors, not because it will tell me to in the instructions but because experience now tells me that this would be a wise thing to do. Its this experience and knowledge and more importantly the sharing of that knowledge that makes this site such an important and useful resource.

Flytrap, while I know what you are trying to say but be assured there is no high voltage (only 240 mains) but it is the current that killed the shower in the picture..

Furthermore, it will make interesting reading the reply from Johnnojob as I like you, also come here to see what additional knowledge can be aquired from posts by pros who have most likely forgotten more than I will ever know. You will need specilaised tools and equipment to test crimp joints but I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong

There is a burn mark on a third wire not connected to that screw terminal, which is visible in the third picture.

That wire goes to the other connection on the said O/H stat

That burn mark on the third wire isn't actually burn mark. It's where some of the melted plastic has come off and is casting a shadow from the camera flash. You will see pics 1 and 2 do not show this apparent burn.

I have emailed Triton about all of this and they are sending out an engineer for a free inspection. I will report back what he says.

Thats not an uncommon fault to find on electric showers.
9/10 faults i attend due to power issues are caused by burnt wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back