Shower / floor material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom where the entire floor (including joists) have been replaced.

I intend to use a 22mm 'wet room' style tile-over tray, so I have mounted 18mm ply between the joists for support. (I've actually continued this for the entire room since the bath we're looking at looks heavy, I had the ply, belt & braces, etc).

Question now is - what should I put *over* the joists. Obviously 18mm ply + some sort of waterproof membrane is going to be not high enough to meet the edge of the tray. 22mm WBP seems to, err, not exist. 18mm WBP then 4mm of marmox board (or something else) ?

The fact that the tray is 22mm to 'match floorboards' seems totally irrelevant since floorboards aren't something that gets tiled to..

Sponsored Links
Is there any other flooring, besides the joists, actually down in the bathroom ?
Are there any fixtures still in place or in use in the bath room now?
Have you sorted all the new water pipe, waste & elec cable arrangements ie. first fix?

Name, make & size of the intended "tile-over tray" please?

Strips of appropriate packing on the joist top edges will bring boards to any required height.

Nothing above joist level - room has had everything stripped out. Services are all in place.

I'm thinking of Aqua-Dec Linear 2, at 1200x900 size.

Your best bet would be to find a showroom with fitted examples in place - and hopefully a bit of useful advice.

Ref your question: then screw down whatever ply you find suitable, and tank the ply and the surrounding walls.

This kind of installation would probably need a bathroom fitter experienced in previous fits for the Aqua-Dec system.
There are a number of possible installation "toe-trippers" for a professional never mind a DIY.

Advising on this one part of a total bathroom installation is not the way to go - the Aqua-Dec must be fitted as part of the total installation.

Sponsored Links
I guess what I was really driving at was "is 18mm WBP overlaid with 4mm of marmox board sensible, or have I missed some other more effective method"

This kind of installation would probably need a bathroom fitter experienced in previous fits for the Aqua-Dec system.
There are a number of possible installation "toe-trippers" for a professional never mind a DIY.

It would? It all looks pretty simple to me, modulo correct selection of appropriate products and the appropriate care of installation. Even high-street shed topps tiles sell all the kit to Joe Public. What am I missing?

I guess what I was really driving at was "is 18mm WBP overlaid with 4mm of marmox board sensible, or have I missed some other more effective method"
It would? It all looks pretty simple to me, modulo correct selection of appropriate products and the appropriate care of installation. Even high-street shed topps tiles sell all the kit to Joe Public. What am I missing?

Sounds like a perfect solution, if you can install a std shower tray and are confident of tiling the gradients in the tray you shouldn't have any problems. I fitted a level-dec tray (same company) years ago having never done anything like it before and it was pretty straight forward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back