Shower heat recovery devices/combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any experience of shower heat recovery systems such as Showersave/Recoh-vert or Ecodrain? In particular, are they good enough to boost a combi's DHW supply sufficiently to cope with 2 decent showers at once?

My thinking is kinda as follows. If an ordinary boiler has a stated output of 16 l/m at a 35° rise with say a 5° mains input, that would mean 16 l/m at 40° which is roughly what an average shower is, meaning about 8 l/m per shower. However, if a Showersave or equivalent heat recovery device is used, the 35° rise on say a 20° pre-warmed mains input would mean 16 l/m of water at 55°, which would be then have to be mixed with cold water to reach a usable shower temperature. Worst case scenario with the cold mains at 5° in a 70/30 ratio to achieve 40° shower temperature, meaning nearly 23 l/m at 40°, but if the cold water supply to the shower could also be warmed to say 20° then the ratio to achieve 40° would be about 57/43, meaning 28 l/m at 40°.

I know that unvented cylinder and system boiler is the usual suggestion for 2 bathroom households, but this is going to be in 6 bedroom HMO where there could be a high demand for hot water which will have to be met (otherwise unhappy tenants) meaning I would have to err on the side of caution with regards to how big a tank I got and how long I have it on every day.

I really would like to go down the combi route if possible, as there would be no chance of running out of hot water and no need to heat a tank of water that may or may not be used, but the obvious flaw with combis is the relatively poor flow rate of hot water, unless you look at the really high flow models like the WB 550 which you tend to pay through the nose for.

So, has anyone any experience of these shower heat recovery devices, and, if so, how efficient are they when used in conjunction with a combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
Trials with a home made concentric linear heat exchanger for waste water heat recovery ( in an eco warrior commune ) suggested the amount of heat recovered from waste water would be a very small percentage of the heat in the waste water.

Most of the waste water drops through the heat exchanger without touching the walls of the pipe. The amount of heat recovered can be increased by corrogating the inner tube to slow and turbulate the flow of waste water. But this can end up with the flow rate of waste water being too low to take the water from the shower resulting in the shower over flowing.

IIRC the best results were obtained from using tank into which the waste water was collected and then allow to drain out slowly as it was cooled by a coil carrying water supplied to the boiler.

Intentionally pre-heating the water supply to the drinking taps may contravene water regulations.

I certainly wouldn't look to heat the cold water supply to anything other than the shower, if that were even possible, and definitely not to any bathroom or kitchen taps.

Sponsored Links
Redrow homes fit showersave to their properties in the North West region, how successful they are I have no idea.

I think they are "successful" in a sort of "get points in a SAP analysis for low cost" sort of way.

(To be clear, I don't think they are "snake oil" as Dan suggests - but I know that they won't come close to letting you run two showers from a combi sized to run only one, and I'm unsure how cost-effective they are compared to e.g. a bit more insulation somewhere.)

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

but I know that they won't come close to letting you run two showers from a combi sized to run only one,

To be honest, I'm more looking at trying to boost a combi that would be marginal at supplying 2 showers to one that would better supply 2 showers. In my own home I'd go for a different system, but in a rental property, where I'll be footing the bill for hot water without being there to monitor it's usage (ie whether I'm heating a tank of water far too often) I would accept 2 OK showers if used together. One of the showers will be an en suite (there will also be a third shower, an electric shower in a 2nd shared bathroom, important imo to have one electric shower to cover as many bases as possible with regards to breakdowns etc) so a lot of the time only one boiler shower will be used at a time, but whatever system I go with will need to give an adequate if not exceptional shower if both are used at the same time.

I really would like to go down the combi route if possible, as there would be no chance of running out of hot water and no need to heat a tank of water that may or may not be used,
A properly designed system with a cylinder won't run out of hot water, they reheat quickly and can be reheating at the same time water is being used.
The fact it might be heated and not used is irrelevant, the heat losses from a modern cylinder are a few pence per day.
No need for an electric shower as backup either, the electric immersion heater in the cylinder can be used if the boiler is not working.
Usage can be controlled by fitting flow restrictors to the showers.

Exactly!

To run two proper showers you need a storage cylinder!

Those recovery devices are not going to make a significant improvement to any shower.

They might just recover their cost over five years but proper loft insulation would be far more effective at giving a saving.

Your figures are incorrect too.

I like a shower at 43 C but most houses lose 2 C between the boiler and shower because installers don't insulate the hot water pipes! So a boiler output temperature of 45 C is required in practice.

But it can get worse. Most thermostatic showers add a percentage of cold water to the shower output, apparently as a precaution against scalding, so a higher boiler output temperature is actually needed.

Tony

Replacing the shower head with a finer unit will give 2 perfectly adequate showers at the same time and cut your water bill too.

This means that they use the surface tension of the water to create a falling film which clings to the sides of the pipe.
Does water that has had detergent added to it have any effective surface tension ? ( detergent such as shower gel and shampoo ). This could explain

efficiency rated from c. 40-70%

70% from a trickle of waste water with no detergent, most of that water is likely to stick to the pipe walls

40% from a high flow rate of waste water with detergent. Unlikely that all ( if any ) of that water will stick to the pipe walls.

(edited for better clarity about how much water wll stick to pipe walls )

This was a reply to a post from a person who sells waste water heat recovery systems. That post has been deleted. Pity it was deleted because burning snake oil can be infomative and fun at the same time.

Last edited:
For what it's worth a concentric linear tube exchanger can be made from a length of 22 mm pipe, a longer length of 15 mm pipe and two 22 x 15 x15 reducing T fittings. The fittings may need to have their end stops filed away to allow the 15 mm pipe to go all the way through the fitting.

Or 28 mm and 22 mm pipe and 28 x 22 x 22 T fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back