shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi was wondering if anyone could tell me if when installing my shower i need too connect it too a seperate fuse in my fuse box or could connect it too any other fuses what supplies electric too my home i am no sure if it is law you need a 40- 50 amp fuse plus the pull cord switch connected if anyone could help i would be so grateful

Sponsored Links
NO it must have its own dedicated fuse. there are lots of posts mentioning showers and the regs you have to adhere to, try searching for showers, shower cable, electric shower

rusty_nuts_2000 said:
hi was wondering if anyone could tell me if when installing my shower i need too connect it too a seperate fuse in my fuse box or could connect it too any other fuses what supplies electric too my home i am no sure if it is law you need a 40- 50 amp fuse plus the pull cord switch connected if anyone could help i would be so grateful

must have a45amp pullcord int the bathroom or a 45doble pole switch mounted outside the bathroom and as for the raiting of cable and fuse you need to tell me what the shower power is , it must have its own fuse/mcb

:rolleyes: I think you should consider paying someone to put it in for you. If you need to ask this question I seriously doubt your ability to safely and correctly install a supply for a shower. I know I sound harsh but if you're going to receive a fatal electric shock in the home it will probably be in the bathroom. I'm not anti-diy electricians but now and then I'm worried when I see a question like this...

Sponsored Links
I fitted an electric shower recently with no prior experience of electrics or plumbing, but I did a lot of research before taking on the job. You can save hundreds of pounds doing it yourself, but you must ensure the installation is done safely to IEE regs. There's loads of info available on the net and if you're fairly competent with tools I'm sure you'll be able to do the job safely. If your consumer unit is of the older rewirable cartridge fuse type, you'll need to fit a new consumer unit with MCBs and an RCD, or you could add a dedicated electric shower consumer unit to the existing consumer unit (this is what I ended up doing). I installed a 9.5kW shower, using 10 mm2 twin and earth cable, a 50 amp double pole isolating switch and a 50 amp MCB. It really isn't as difficult as it might seem as long as you understand the circuit requirements and are prepared to put many hours in (including several in the loft, wiring the switch and running the cable from shower unit to switch to consumer unit).

Welcome to the forum,Juno 60,

I agreed what you're saying but got to remember this is only a diy'er forum.Might be easy for you to do but that doesn't mean it's easy for others.Sometime you can read up all the details and still get it wrong,I'm not being rude but I know people who cannot read & just look at the wiring diagrams picture,then they copy it and haven't clue what it doing.I've learnt in the pasts that not everyone can do what I can do.You can always tell if the competence person can do the job or not, the way they ask the question.
I would say the best thing for rusty_nuts_2000 to do,is do all the wire connecting then a friendly electrician (if possible?) to check and final connection to CU.This is my own opinion.............

masona said:
Welcome to the forum,Juno 60,

I agreed what you're saying but got to remember this is only a diy'er forum.Might be easy for you to do but that doesn't mean it's easy for others.Sometime you can read up all the details and still get it wrong,I'm not being rude but I know people who cannot read & just look at the wiring diagrams picture,then they copy it and haven't clue what it doing.I've learnt in the pasts that not everyone can do what I can do.You can always tell if the competence person can do the job or not, the way they ask the question.
I would say the best thing for rusty_nuts_2000 to do,is do all the wire connecting then a friendly electrician (if possible?) to check and final connection to CU.This is my own opinion.............

Thanks for your welcome, masona. This forum looks to be an excellent source of help and ideas.

I can't disagree with your point - you need to be absolutely sure of what you're doing before taking on any electrical DIY task; any doubts, then an electrician should be called in.

My point is that it is possible to undertake some DIY electrical jobs competently and safely by doing thorough research so that you know exactly what you need to do before you start. I admit, I did get a friend trained to IEE standard to check out my installation before I used the shower, but he was completely satisifed with what I had done. DIYers shouldn't be put off electrical work just because they are inexperienced - however, getting work checked out by a professional (less expensive then getting them to do the whole job) is definitely recommended. [/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back