shower keeps tripping, can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had a new bathroom fitted when i moved into my new house and all was well untill last night. when i tried to turn on the sower the light on the box with the pull cord would not come on, and when i checked the fuse box it was in the tripped position. it said to reset it 'turn to off position and then to on position'. i tried this and it will stay on for maybe a minute then it trips again.

DSC00203.jpg

here is a picture of the box in question with the switch in the 'tripped' position

Sponsored Links
If it's new then I would get the person who fitted it back in to have a look at it.
It seems like it is a neutral- earth fault, but does it trip when you have other appliances running at the same time?
You could also check the connections in the pull switch.
Was it properly tested at the time of installation, do you have a test certificate?

it's been in for about 3 months and we have no certificate. the whole bathroom was fitted out by one company from the tiling right through to the wiring for the shower and tbh they were nothing short of a nightmare. it trips when nothing else is on, how could i check for a neutral-earth fault?

Hmmm..did you get a certificate for the electrical work? Know any friendly electricians?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like my neighbours house - they had an en-suite built in their bedroom, by partitioning off an area, and one of the partition walls is leaning away at the top :eek: Oh, and they had a 1-way CU installed just like yours, with en-suite shower writtin on in black marker pen. Remarkable :LOL:

some of the halogen bulbs in the kitchen lights have blown recently as well. would this have any bearing on this problem?

could it be moisture ingress into the shower itself? i opened the shower and found that the neutral wire has a slice in the mains cable coming into it and it was half covered with a bit of insulating tape. i replaced the tape and tried it again and hey presto it worked!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back