Shower not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Issue with a non-draining shower. It's an upstairs shower which does not drain well and if you carried on running the shower it would eventually overflow the tray. I had assumed it was partially blocked so did some pretty aggressive plunging, but nothing nasty came up. What's odd about it is that it does clear quickly if given one or two plunges, like there's a sudden clearance. Therefore, you think that's sorted it, but it happens again the next time it's used. I'm wondering whether it's something to do with airflow or perhaps there is an insufficient fall in the pipe, but then why does it then clear after a plunge or two and then keep draining properly if you carry on running water? The drain pipe is hard to access as I don't want to lift carpets.
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
This stuff worked well for me on bath and basin .

Attachments

• IMG_1425.png
    IMG_1425.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
This stuff worked well for me on bath and basin .
Thanks, I'll give it a go. There might be an issue in that the blockage, if it is a blockage, is someway along the pipe, so will this reach a relatively long distance. Worth trying though.

Sponsored Links
I had this until I realised that you can remove the plug hole. Sounds stupid I know but it wasn't obvious. I had to lever it out with a fork. Then I found that it had a cylindrical waste trap with a screw off bottom that was blocked full of... well...it was gross.

Now I take it out once a week and clean it. No more problems.

Just in case you haven't already tried this....

I've found the worst thing to block a shower outlet is long hair!
It gets caught in the trap and collects the dirty soap suds, which eventually build up until no more flow.
I regularly de-clog ours about every 3 days as my wife has long hair and my step son has longish curly hair, but because it sits close to his head, it doesn't look that long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back