Shower outlet/sprayhead installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am coming to the end of a long (since April) bathroom project and my next job is to fit the fixed shower outlet/sprayhead. It is a Triton and the (pretty hopeless) instructions say I should fit the elbow fitting flush with the finished tile surface. I am using 9mm marine ply as the backboard and I have calculated that when allowing for thickness of ply, tile adhesive(6mm when bedded) and tile (8.5mm (400x250 tile)) I will have to have the wall plate elbow protruding 14.5 (15) mm from surface of the ply which means when taking the thickness of the ply into account the female neck of the elbow fitting is not long enough to prevent the pipework restricting from behind the board (hope all this makes sense).
The question I have is , is it possible to buy long neck wall plate elbow fitting ? If so where from ?
Also how critical is it to actually have the fitting flush with the tile surface as Triton reccomend?
I should also have mentioned that the Triton system is for a brass connector to screw into the elbow with the other end sliding into the shower arm, with 2 'o' ring seals.
I have looked on the web for long neck elbow fittings with no luck.
Thanks View media item 23203

Sponsored Links
Hi Frank,
I think your calcs are slightly out,6mm on adhesive when bedded is coming out a but thick IMO.
Even with a 10mm notch when the tile is bedded should be coming out at 3-4mm + tile thicknes.I know its only a few mm but every bit counts ;)

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the thickness as never done tiling before and my DIY Bible (Collins/Jackson & Day) did not give a thickness, so I did a quick google.

Sponsored Links
Hi Spencer. I fitted one of these a while back with thicker board than yours and I had no problems. It's important that the o rings fit into the shower head . the elbow needs to be screwed into a noggin in your wall [assuming it's a partition wall] this gives the shower head its strength. It makes life a lot easier if you can access the pipework behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back