How to remove specific tiles for pipe repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently tiled by bathroom. The compression fitting for the shower valve constantly weeps. The copper tails have been necked and need replacing.

I've previously posted about it in the plumbing forum.

PTFE tape did not resolve the issue. I decided against various silicone solutions on the basis that some people have found that it can fail at an unspecified time in the future.

That left me with no option but to remove a specific tile, de-solder the elbows, clean up the pipe and solder new elbows and tails.

The elbow came off fairly easily from the hot supply but wouldn't budge from the cold supply.

The cold supply pipe has now deformed from all the clamping and wrestling to get the elbow off.

I now have to remove a further tile to get enough access to slice the pipe and solder on a replacement length, elbow and tail.

The tiles are fairly standard ceramic wall tiles from B&Q and have been on around 1 month.

I've removed the grout surrounding specific tiles but the tiles themselves are coming off in little bits.

Does anybody have a more efficient solution?

The tiles are stuck with BAL single-part flexible onto tanked Aqua-panel. The aqua-panel is screwed onto metal stud work with a few extra bits of timber inserted for rigidity.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back