Shower Pod Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I'm posting looking for help regarding a shower pod if anyone is able to point me in the right direction.

Recently for several hundred quid I bought a stand alone shower pod which was advertised as being suitable for any electric shower.

However once I assembled it I've found it to be incredibly flimsy, the issue I have is that if I'm going to fit an electric shower onto it, I have a great fear that as the unit is somewhat flexible, vibration and peoples movement will cause any seal around an electric shower unit to stand a good chance of failing and water will penetrate into it and cause electrocution.

I attempted to return the unit but the supplier wouldn't take it back.

It was bought on a credit card, and as purchases over £100 are given section 75 protection, I've attempted to get a refund through that means, but the credit card company are asking for a report from an independent source that is vat registered and has the "correct credentials" in this trade.

Does anyone have any idea who would be the best to get to write such a report? Plumber or electrician?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the pods are shyte full of endless problems at the cheaper end of the market , but still hassle with the dearer ones thou but not as bad . so there pretty then ;)

They said the bank would reimburse any reasonable cost for obtaining the report
who is , they ?

Sponsored Links
the pods are shyte full of endless problems at the cheaper end of the market , but still hassle with the dearer ones thou but not as bad . so there pretty then ;)

who is , they ?

The bank who my credit card is with, with whom I'm making the section 75 claim.

Yes this pod is really shyte indeed, feel conned out my money for something that isn't fit for purpose.

I've never had them ask for those details when I've claimed before ( sorted at later date ), where did you buy it from ?

I've never had them ask for those details when I've claimed before ( sorted at later date ), where did you buy it from ?

Bought it from an independent online store, not one of the big names.

Bought it from an independent online store
Well maybe you are still covered by the distance selling regulations now known as "the consumer contracts"

Depends on a time limit but you have already rejected it by asking the shop to take it back as you questioned its quality,did you inspect the assembled unit in the online retailers showroom ? (no is good) or just buy it as a kit from the internet (yes is good).

Worth looking into this approach.

Sounds more like a consumer rights issue than a plumbing one - your right to reject goods as "not fit for purpose" or "not as advertised".

FWIW you don't seal an electric shower to the wall. The manufacturers ask you not to use silicone as the small air gap at the back.assists heat dissipation.

The casing is shower-proof (IPEX something or other) and the entry holes and position of the internal exposed electrics are designed to obviate risk to persons if water did leak in. Also I hope you will have RCD protection on your power supply.

I do agree that these pods are generally flimsy carp!

Well maybe you are still covered by the distance selling regulations now known as "the consumer contracts"

Depends on a time limit but you have already rejected it by asking the shop to take it back as you questioned its quality,did you inspect the assembled unit in the online retailers showroom ? (no is good) or just buy it as a kit from the internet (yes is good).

Worth looking into this approach.

No I just bought it from the internet, didn't see it in person, really regret buying it

Sounds more like a consumer rights issue than a plumbing one - your right to reject goods as "not fit for purpose" or "not as advertised".

FWIW you don't seal an electric shower to the wall. The manufacturers ask you not to use silicone as the small air gap at the back.assists heat dissipation.

The casing is shower-proof (IPEX something or other) and the entry holes and position of the internal exposed electrics are designed to obviate risk to persons if water did leak in. Also I hope you will have RCD protection on your power supply.

I do agree that these pods are generally flimsy carp!

The styrene walls off the unit are so wobbly I could easily envisage water making its way inside the electric shower and causing electrocution.

Yes the circuit is RCD.

maybe get some advice from https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Dont mention the electric shower issue as the seller will have paperwork to confirm an electric shower is suitable.

Mention that the unit is very flimsy and it was not described as flimsy on the internet advert.

Good chance you will get your cash back.

Dont mention the electric shower issue as the seller will have paperwork to confirm an electric shower is suitable.

Mention that the unit is very flimsy and it was not described as flimsy on the internet advert.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a good route to go down.

The bank who I'm making my claim with want some kind of official report to say it's flimsy, any idea who the person to do that would be? A tradesman of some sort like Joiner, Plumber or electrician?

rusty38 theres something your not telling us , come on spit it out as you will feel better for it , i can assure you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back