Shower power supply/switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A friend has asked me to move a switch for her shower that is currently in a bedroom. The shower is currently wired in as a spur from a socket in the bedroom via the switch she wants moving. The switch isn't going to be moved into the bathroom, but I was unsure if it was acceptable to be running an electric shower from a spur in this way? Also would it be advisable to replace the light switch currently used with a fused switch, and shouldn't this really be a pull switch, even though the switch isn't in the bathroom???
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Aberlee said:
I was unsure if it was acceptable to be running an electric shower from a spur in this way?
No, but it should be a fused spur.

Also would it be advisable to replace the light switch currently used with a fused switch,
Absolutely incredibly strongly advisable.

and shouldn't this really be a pull switch, even though the switch isn't in the bathroom???
No.

Is this a leg-pull?

If the installation is as you describe, it is far from safe. the electric shower (you do mean one where an electric element heats the water, you don't mean a power shower that uses hot water from a tank and provides extra pressure from a pump?) should have its own dedicated circuit, not be hung off the sockets.

If you can't persuade the resident to have it done properly, and you're going to provide a fused spur, consider an FCU with RCD. It will probably cost about £20. Due to the load of the electric shower it will probably blow fuses from time to time so get in a good supply.

No, it's not a leg pull! :confused:
It is an electric shower (heats it's own water), and, yes should be on it's own circuit, but I guess it was origonally a DIY job that wasn't too great (the sockets and switches are both crumbling away as well, but thats another story).
So, short of getting a pro in to put it onto a seperate circuit. Would it be considered reasonable to put it via a fused switch (with RCD as above).
Or should I be telling her, no way should this be done this way, I ain't touching it!
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Aberlee said:
Or should I be telling her, no way should this be done this way, I ain't touching it!

that's probably the best option, unless she then goes off and finds somone less scrupulous

You could swap the 20A dp switch (I'm assuming thats what it has) for a 13A FCU (in a physically able to do it kinda way), but the fuse would be blowing all the time, because its overloaded, I'm afraid theres nothing minor you can do that'll make it better (other than swapping it for a shower that doesn't heat)

You could put it on a separate circuit yourself if money is tight for her, even if you dont test and dont notify for part P you'll be making it better than it is :)

Adam_151 said:
You could swap the 20A dp switch (I'm assuming thats what it has) for a 13A FCU (in a physically able to do it kinda way), but the fuse would be blowing all the time, because its overloaded, I'm afraid theres nothing minor you can do that'll make it better (other than swapping it for a shower that doesn't heat)

You could put it on a separate circuit yourself if money is tight for her, even if you dont test and dont notify for part P you'll be making it better than it is :)

It's just run through a standard light switch at the moment, has been for some time by the look of it.
As for seperate circuits, that's out of my league I'm afraid, strictly a replacemnet switches and sockets kinda guy!

If you want to make it safer, disconnect it and tell her to get someone in who can do it better.

The only option you have is walk away or do it properly.
I know Adam was joking before but this work is notifiable, and you must test. I don't know if you're a spark so apologise if i'm teaching granny to suck eggs :D

newspark_paul said:
The only option you have is walk away or do it properly.
I know Adam was joking before but this work is notifiable, and you must test. I don't know if you're a spark so apologise if i'm teaching granny to suck eggs :D
No not a spark, all advice gladly taken.
So, would it be illeagle for me to move this switch and not put the shower on a seperate circuit? I guess thats what it boils down to?
The fact is, if i don't move it, it will stay just as it is, so if I do move it, put it through fused RCD switch, it will be safer than it is now, so I'm covered morally :confused:
She'll be better off than she was before from a convenience and safety point of view.
I just want to know if at somepoint i could be letting myself in for trouble by trying to do a mate a favour!!!

If you put it through a fused switch, its going to be blowing the fuse all the time (though I suppose that might give her the inclination to have it fixed :) )

And if its at the moment on a 20A DP switch (they can look very much like normal lightswitches) and you downrate it to a 13A RCD FCU, you have swapped it for someome thats even more overloaded

To my mind you're not really making it any safer than before (besides the RCD I suppose) and might be making it worse than before, especially if there is a tempation to replace failed fuses with foil when it happens for the 10th time....

but at the same time you shouldn't leave it how it is, I'm trying to think of a compromise that makes it safer at the moment incase you can't persuade her to get someone in

@Paul, kinda half joking, its not really ideal, but an untested properly installed dedicated circuit beats an untested bodge off the ring, admittedly not the view the regs would like people to take, but using the circuit 'recipes' in the OSG for the worst case of Ze for the type of supply and using new cable and a new RCD (also remember that unless TT there is no actual requirement for RCD on shower anyway), I'd say its at least an order of magnitude better than the electric shower off the ring :) (or even more if supp. bonding was installed at the same time)

(though its all accademic anyway as the OPs competence doesn't stretch that far)

In summary, as it stands it is dangerous, and the longer it remains, the more likely it is that there will be a fire.

Unless it is properly rewired with its own circuit, any steps you take to remove the danger will result in the shower becoming unusable.

Re my earlier reply - I assumed it was a power-shower pump - I never imagined for one second that this was an instant shower installed by somebody so ignorant and incompetent that they would wire it like this.

It needs sorting.

NOW.

ban-all-sheds said:
In summary, as it stands it is dangerous, and the longer it remains, the more likely it is that there will be a fire.

Unless it is properly rewired with its own circuit, any steps you take to remove the danger will result in the shower becoming unusable.

Re my earlier reply - I assumed it was a power-shower pump - I never imagined for one second that this was an instant shower installed by somebody so ignorant and incompetent that they would wire it like this.

It needs sorting.

NOW.

Thats clear enough for me!
I'll tell her it's just not right, and it needs putting on seperate circuit.
The fire risk should be enough to convince her :confused:
Cheers for advice chaps :D

i've heared of an electric shower (instant heat type) running through a 13A plug before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back