Shower pressure too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friend has recently been appointed warden in a care home and a couple of their showers, though not all, are just too high powered feels like they almost cut you with the pressure. They work fine, temp adjusts OK it's just too strong water pressure. Most of the showers are OK it's only two or three that are affected. They all look to be of the same make, not sure what.

What can I do easily and cheaply to fix this for them?

Their maintenance budget in verging on the non existent so please don't say call a plumber they really don't have the money. This fix will probably be done by me out of the goodness of my heart and any parts down to me too, so cheap solution is best.

TIA

Sponsored Links
A flow restrictor (a fancy name for a washer with a small hole in the middle?) fitted in the hose between the shower valve and head may provide a solution.

A flow restrictor (a fancy name for a washer with a small hole in the middle?) fitted in the hose between the shower valve and head may provide a solution.

This. We have massive pressure in our house. I fitted the flow restrictor because of the amount of water we were using and it did reduce the sharpness of the water.

Sponsored Links
Another possibility is fitting a Pressure Reducing Valve to the inlet pipework. (some come with an integral gauge so that one can see what pressure the outlet is set at)

Would a Thermostatic Blending valve also be a good idea (or are the existing valves already controlled internally)?

DH

Thanks for the help chaps.

Went to local plumbers this morning and asked for a Bristan pressure reducer and he just grabbed one off the shelf. "Six or eight litre one mate?" he asked me. So I settled on the eight and for a fiver (cash,) job done.

Perfect and excellent advice from you all.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back