shower problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when I put on my isolator switch for my shower the red light comes on as normal,but when I turn on the shower the light goes out and no hot water comes through the shower.I have an electrical switch box that trips if something has blown(light bulbs ect)but nothing happens when the shower has been turned on.Anyone know where the fault maybe?

Sponsored Links
Probably a loose connection, it doesn't take a lot to light a neon, so it would light even though a high resistance path. Would advise you turn off the power and check behind the isolator switch, if you don't find anything there then it would also be worth checking the connections inside the CU. Worth noting that there are parts inside the CU that are live even when the main isolator switch is off (namely the incoming tails onto the isolator) so you shouldn't attempt this if you're not confident in your electrical abilities.

EDIT: Spark123's suggestion above is also a good bet.

how easy is that to replace,and would that still let the shower run and not heat up the water?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Where is this red light you speak of? I (and presumably others) had assumed you meant that it was part of the isolator. If the light is on the shower and cold water is running then the problem is more likely with the shower itself, as you must have power to operate the solenoid valve that allows water to flow. The element may have gone open circuit or the overheat cutout has activated, or something else entirely.

If you were meaning to ask if you could remove this switch and still use the shower for cold washes only then the answer is probably no.

the light is on a small box with a pull cord on the roof.I need to pull this to on(red lights up)when going for a shower,when I turn the shower on this light goes out and only cold water comes through th shower.I know nothing about electrical things!

Yep - sounds like it could be the isolator.
I wouldn't like to say how easy it is to replace - it will depend on how much slack there is above, what tools you have, wether or not the cable has been damaged by heat etc.
Wether or not the shower will run cold will depend on the type of shower you have - some showers have solenoids which will kill the water flow when power is removed and others just rely on you turning the control knob to control the water flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back