Shower Pull Switch Problem (Melting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
My mum has a Mira electric shower and I replaced the pull switch about a year ago as it stopped working and there seemed to be some charring inside and the plastic had cracked. Now the new one has broken and when I look inside the live wire has melted its plastic and is black and charred for about an inch and a half and the plastic around the terminal is cracked and burnt.
What is causing this? The shower has a separate fuse box downstairs and seems to have been properly fitted.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
most probably loose connection i see this all the time. when tightening terminals use the largest screwdriver you can not one of those tiny ended glass terminal neon type drivers. screw it down tight as you can then no probs

its down to poor connections, therefore you get this arcing/piting and burning of the conductor and terminal.

you need to make sure the termination is really good and properly done( no loose strands missing)

also is it a good quality switch/pullcord?

this can make a difference.

is it highly rated enough for the shower? ( it should be)

casper, after you have fitted the new pull cord dont screw it back together wait 5 mins and re-tighten you will probably find it will"nick up"a bit more as the cable beds in

Sponsored Links
Also when you remake the new switch, make sure you cut off all the damaged wiring. This will often extend past where the burning on the insulation stops. The copper will be discoloured from the heat, and this can cause a higher resstance joint, which may lead to another burnt out pull switch.

Of course, you may run out of slack, in which case you need to replace the whole piece rather than rely on (another) cable joint!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back