Shower pump cable run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Been waiting endlessly for my mate the electrician to come around, and just cannot wait any longer!

Got bare walls that need to be boarded up and have installed a shower pump underneath the bath. I need to get some cable in so I can at least start to board up again.

What is needed at the bath end? The nearest power I can see is horizontally to the airing cupboard where there is cabling to the immersion heather and to the HW pump.

If all I need to do is run cable into there and wait for the elusive electrician to turn up, at least I can get started...

Any help much appreciated,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Would I be correct in thinking I can site a fused spur in the airing cupboard and run flex cable around to the pump, then worry about wiring up the spur later....

Sponsored Links
marky9074 said:
The guy in there looked at me with a blank on his face and said he could not advise me.....WTF...
Of course he can't advise you, or anyone else come to that.

What do you think would happen if someone misunderstood his advice and consequently injured or electrocuted someone?

I just assumed walking into an electrical wholesalers they might have some idea of the suitability of the products they sell....

marky9074 said:
The guy in there looked at me with a blank on his face and said he could not advise me.....WTF...

What do you think would happen if someone misunderstood his advice and consequently injured or electrocuted someone?

I would have thought that if I walked in and asked for some 13 amp flex cable suitable for running through a wall from a bathroom outwards, he could have at least some idea what I was talking about? I was not asking for any technical advice, or instruction how to wire it up.

marky9074 said:
I just assumed walking into an electrical wholesalers they might have some idea of the suitability of the products they sell....
What on earth does "suitability" mean?

Let's get specific - what, precisely, did you ask the person serving you?

marky9074 said:

I would have thought that if I walked in and asked for some 13 amp flex cable suitable for running through a wall from a bathroom outwards, he could have at least some idea what I was talking about? I was not asking for any technical advice, or instruction how to wire it up.

As I said here....

I didn't come on here to have a bun fight....all I want to do is put some damn cable in the wall so that I can get it boarded and tiled, then I can wait for the electrician to do the ends at a later date....

marky9074 said:
I would have thought that if I walked in and asked for some 13 amp flex cable suitable for running through a wall from a bathroom outwards, he could have at least some idea what I was talking about?
Well I don't have any idea what you're talking about either.

I was not asking for any technical advice, or instruction how to wire it up.
So what were you asking? Since you had already specified "flex" and a rating of "13 amps", what did you expect him to say?

What all this reveals is your lack of experience in what you're attempting. Circuit design and cable selection isn't rocket science, and there's plenty of information in the Wiki, but do you have the first clue as to what you're doing?

Marky, I'm with you here.

Trouble is, most of the young lads at City don't know there r's from their elbow.

They sell electrical stuff in b+q.

Do you think the spotty faced kids who work there have the first clue how to safely use any of the stuff, or which bits to specify for a job?

You guys have just reinforced my already poor perception of electricians. I asked a simple question 'will this cable be OK' and all you have done is pick holes and berate me at every single thing I have said.

It is a simple enough question, is this cable OK to go behind my plasterboard. No, its not rocket science, I believe it is OK. I am asking here as I thought people that frequent this forum were respected experts, but all you seem to want to do is waste my time, rather than answer what I see as a pretty simple question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back