Shower pump cut outs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone - my first post, so please be gentle!

I'm considering installing one of the cheaper shower pumps from Wickes or B&Q, and I think I've got their requirements sorted. I was just wondering about their safety cutouts though. It says suitable for running 20mins, then 40 mins off. As a family, we don't really linger about in the shower, but often seem to take a shower in succession. When the time limit is reached and the pump cuts out, does water still flow at its original rate as if it were un-pumped or is there no flow at all? I wouldn't like the third one in to get stranded mid shower with no water, but don't really need to go up to £300+ for an industrial rated pump. Any answers most appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete.

Sponsored Links
Pete, the run time is down to the motor rating. I.E. it is desigmed to have a rest period to cool down. (intermittantly rated) This will also depend on ambient temp, designed flow rate of shower etc.

If you want to get a continuously rated motor you will have to pay more money but by the sounds of it that is what you should be looking for. (self cooling)

Yes the flow would revert to natural gravity.

I've never known one to actually cut out after 20 mins I think you'll find its a recommendation.

With a family it would be better to stretch to a continuously rated pump rather than have to replace yours again in a couple of years

Sponsored Links
I guess the pump marketing department has decided that circulating the cold water around the motor with a thin coiled pipe to increase the motor duty cycle is not worth it.
Even with free DIY labor it may not be worth it.

and b*****r the flow rates in doing so...

thin pipes? really?
Then use thick, flexible pipes. The electric motors in cars use it.
It's DIY, after all, and with free labor the DIYer can make tradeoffs that commercial makers can't.

And besides sex and aggression there is supposed to be a third basic drive which is 'mastery'.
Putting on my Sigmund Freud hat, doing this represents a challenge to be mastered.
Yeah, let's go with that. . .:D

Good morning,

Just to let you all know that all of our pumps up to 3bar are continuously rated. They don't have thin tubes to circulate some water around the motor, its just the design of them that allow for them to be rated in this way.

Regards

ken

Yeah, we are aware of this :oops:

Its actually a misprint in the literature and the pumps have since been modified.

All the pumps upto and including the 3bar are definitely continuously rated.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back