Shower pump issues after plumber changed immersion element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having issues with shower pump and water pressure after plumber changed the economy 7 immersion heater element. He apparently had an issue draining the tank and when he removed the heater element the tank wasn't fully drained and water gushed out (I'm assuming it hit the shower pump).

I've tried a few things with the pump and different taps and have found the following:
* the pump does not turn off when it runs
* the pump only turns on when bathroom basin (cold) or bath (hot or cold) taps are turned on
* the pump does not turn on when kitchen (hot or cold) or bathroom basin (hot) taps are turned on
* bathroom is closest to tanks/pump
* kitchen cold water tap has best pressure when pump is turned off even though it's the furthest
* the shower head stops running completely when held about 6 foot in the air (even with pump running) on normal temperature setting - when temperature set to only cold it runs fine
* the hot water is feeding through the pump and I can feel the heat in the input/output pipes to the pump

The pump is a Watermill PR50D which I believe is a 1.5 bar twin. The support helpline doesn't work anymore as Grundfos have taken over.

I've run the water to try to get any air out and switched it off/on 10 times (normal fix for IT equipment :LOL: ).

Any ideas?
Is it time for a new pump?
Would this have been caused by the change in the immersion element?
Possibly running the pump when the hot water tank was being emptied and not full hot water supply?

Thanks for your time reading this and any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Stephen

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back