Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just replaced a pump on a shower, and found out that the previous pump was hooked up to the lighting circuit on a fused spur.
I've put the new pump in (which has a 3A fused plug on it), and connected it again.

This is all in the loft.

Just wondering if there are any safety issue with this?

Sponsored Links
What circuit breaker is protecting the circuit and how much load is on it?

I have argued this with my son. If a fault can stop the lights working causing a danger then it should be on a separate circuit, however if the whole street is plunged into darkness then does not matter how many circuits you will still be plunged into darkness, so if loosing the electric lights causes a danger then the lights should be battery backed.

So in real terms we are looking at how often the lights are likely to fail because the pump, or fan or shaver socket, or TV booster has caused the system to overload. So if it's been there for a while with no problems and the new one uses same as the old one, then in real terms there is no problem.

Sponsored Links
gsf600y said:
Shower pump plugged into lighting circuit

Sorry for being slow, but where do they say this?

Hi,
Just replaced a pump on a shower, and found out that the previous pump was hooked up to the lighting circuit on a fused spur.

Fused spurs are not used or necessary on lighting circuits.

Fused spurs are not used or necessary on lighting circuits.
They are often used on lighting circuits, for example to provide a 3A BS 1362 fuse to an extractor fan which invariably stipulates a requirement for such in the manufacturer's instructions. There is little point pretending this not to be the case.

They are often used on lighting circuits, for example to provide a 3A BS 1362 fuse to an extractor fan which invariably stipulates a requirement for such in the manufacturer's instructions. There is little point pretending this not to be the case.

They are often WRONGLY used on lighting circuits.

Extractor fans SHOULD have their own internal protection and not rely on unnecessary external protection, which cannot be provided in 26 members of the EU where FCUs are not available or compliant.

Manufacturers instructions don't have to be followed, especially when they are wrong.

That is an opinion - account must be taken of them, so to suggest they can simply be ignored is folly.

I never said they could be simply ignored. I would read them, take account of them, and then decide.

And who is best placed to judge that a manufacturer's instructions are wrong? You? :eek:
A DIYer who has just bought a product?

When they are asking you to do something that is not available or compliant in 26 of the EU countries you don't need a genius to realise they are wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back