Shower pump replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just moved into a house and discovered the shower pump is very noisy and intermittant, so I guess it needs replacing. In the pile of paperwork left by the previous owners I found a receipt for it (an Aura 45) from 2003. Is this about the right life for a shower pump?

So, what should I get as a replacement? Having just moved the budget is a tad tight, but I did see one in Wickes for about £99. Any comments on this or alternatives I should consider? Are there any "Gotchas" to be wary of?

Cheers, TT

Sponsored Links
Sorry, been away for a few days!

Are these pumps the "Rolls Royce" of shower pumps, or just a good standard make?

Just a couple of observations:

1, The pump installed at present is a 1.5 bar, will increasing it to a 2 bar pump pose any problems when only running 1 shower?

2, The plumbing connections at present are 22mm inlet/outlet from the pump, but the pipework then drops down to 15mm as the pipework disappears behind the studwork into the shower room. I've read somewhere that it should all be 22mm. Is this the case, and if so will I need to replace all the existing pipework?

3, Our hot water supply is from an old Rayburn that doesn't seem to have any temp control for the hot water, and boy does it get hot. I've noticed some pumps have a max inlet temp, does this apply to all shower pumps?

Thanks for your time guys,

TT

The pump hasn’t done bad considering it may have been regularly cooked by the water temperature from the Rayburn. I would recommend you check the installation before rushing out & buying a new pump; the noise may be just the pump on its way out but there could be other factors to do with incorrect installation. The intermittent operation could be faulty flow switches (pressure vessel in the case of a negative head pump) or air locking which would also cause noise & damage the pump. It’s also important you buy the correct pump for your installation, either positive or negative head.

Are these pumps the "Rolls Royce" of shower pumps, or just a good standard make?
They are a very good domestic pump at the quality end but hardly Rolls Royce; the Wickes pump by comparison could be likened to a Reliant Robin. A slightly cheaper option would be a Salamander pump. Personally I only fit one or the other.

1, The pump installed at present is a 1.5 bar, will increasing it to a 2 bar pump pose any problems when only running 1 shower?
No should not be a problem.

2, The plumbing connections at present are 22mm inlet/outlet from the pump, but the pipework then drops down to 15mm as the pipework disappears behind the studwork into the shower room. I've read somewhere that it should all be 22mm. Is this the case, and if so will I need to replace all the existing pipework?
Ideally it should be 22mm through to the mixer but a drop to 15mm after the pump is common; it’s important the pump feed pipe work is 22mm.

3, Our hot water supply is from an old Rayburn that doesn't seem to have any temp control for the hot water, and boy does it get hot. I've noticed some pumps have a max inlet temp, does this apply to all shower pumps?
A maximum temperature of 65 degrees applies to all the domestic shower pumps I know of. If the water temperature exceeds this, you must fit a thermostatic mixing valve (TMV) into the hot water outlet/pump feed or the pump life will be short & the manufacturer’s warranty will be void.

Not applicable in your case but since 2010 it’s been a Building Regulations requirement to restrict the hot water temperature supply to 48 degrees for all new builds or conversions.

Sponsored Links
That's great, thanks so much. Fitting a TMV may well be the way ahead, but is it something a basic amateur can do, or is it worth getting someone in to do it for me? Would it be a hour for a plumber but a days work and a lot of heartache for me?!

Just trying to think ahead, if we thought we might add a second shower in the near future (within the next 6 months), would it be worth putting in a stronger pump, or is it better to have a pump per shower?

Fitting a TMV may well be the way ahead, but is it something a basic amateur can do, or is it worth getting someone in to do it for me? Would it be a hour for a plumber but a days work and a lot of heartache for me?!
I would advise you fit a TMV if only to protect your investment in a new pump. As a drain down & new cold water feed is involved, it would be a fair bit more work than an hour for a qualified plumber but how long exactly depends on your system & if any problems are encountered. I’m not sure what you mean by “a basic amateur” but if you’ve no experience of plumbing or it only extends to changing some taps or fitting a couple of screw fix taps for a washing machine then it may well be beyond your scope & you need to get someone in. That’s what I would advise & get them to check out the suitability of the rest of the system at the same time; but select your “plumber” carefully, don’t get ripped off!

Just trying to think ahead, if we thought we might add a second shower in the near future (within the next 6 months), would it be worth putting in a stronger pump, or is it better to have a pump per shower?
It depends on the type of showers you fit & if you intend using both at the same time. If you’re intending high flow/pressure showers to be used at the same time, I’d hedge my bets & fit a 3 bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back