Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my shower pump Is intermittent it will not turn on, so to get it working I have to do is hit the pump a sharp tap with my hand on the top of the pump to get it working it then fine for a few days then it goes again. Any ideas what is causing the problem please please.

Tommo 45

Sponsored Links
There is usually a flow switch inside the pump that starts the motor when it detects the water beginning to flow and starts the pump motor, if that is not operating initially, a sharp tap may encourage it to do so. It's generally not too difficult for someone competent to test with a multimeter provided the fault is present at the time.

On the other hand, the pump shaft itself may be sticking in it's bearings and doesn't rotate until the tap frees it. Either way, if the pump is elderly, probably symptoms that it is due for replacement.

BTW you have posted in the wrong forum, Plumbing and Central Heating would be more appropriate. I have asked the mods to move it for you.

Isolated incoming water supplies and see if little gauze filters are clear at the pump end.
Instead of beating the pump try opening a tap.
Flow switch normally found in the incoming hoses attached to the pump and running a strong magnet down the hose can fool the pump to start.
Try the above before replacing pump and depending on manufacturer spares may be available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back