Shower riser kit plinth set to finished floor height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in thinking that the plinth of a riser kit should rest over the floor tiles i.e. the bottom of the plinth is set to the finished floor height, with the end of the tile run just tucking underneath?
If the above is the case, then I assume that the edge of the tile stops before the first support leg i.e the plinth is over the tiles, but the support legs are not?
Most of these kits come with metal clips that are screwed to the floor to trap the bottom of the plinth. Doing it as above will mean that I will have to put a packer underneath the clip to get it to the new height?
TIA

Sponsored Links
If there's not enough adjustment get bigger feet or pack out, these used to be fitted onto wooden frames anyway. the extra height will improve the fall.

Blup

If there's not enough adjustment get bigger feet or pack out, these used to be fitted onto wooden frames anyway. the extra height will improve the fall.

Blup

Thanks for your response. I’m still at the planning stage and so I can set it to any height, but I just wanted to make sure that my approach / thinking is correct?

If you can avoid using a riser kit you'll be much better off, v annoying stepping up into or down out of the shower.
If you have no choice (waste height is usual showstopper, that or solid concrete floor) the load bearing bits should be on the solid floor (ply, concrete, whatever). Me personally I'd tile up to the facia rather than under it & run a bead of silicon along to seal

Sponsored Links
Don't use riser kits, they only last so long before the tray starts to move. If they are supporting an acrylic tray then the point loading allows the tray to flex over time, again causing issues with seals and possible cracking.

Create a flat plinth on a solid base and it should last as long as the tray life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back