Shower running too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all !

I am sure I am missing something really obvious here, but....

We have a Gainsborough electric shower in the main bathroom that runs way too hot with a shower head attached. Remove the shower head, and run the shower with just the hose attached, it works fine. I have tried numerous shower-heads, checking before buying that they are suitable for electric showers, but they make no difference. The shower is about 10 years old, and didn't do this to start with, but this has been the case for the last couple of years.....only found out recently though!

We live in a hard water area, but a second shower, a Triton, does not have this problem. I'm very tempted to increase the size of the holes on one of the showerheads by using a pin or something as it is almost like every one we try is reducing the water flow too much.

Any thoughts most appreciated !
Paul

Sponsored Links
Descale the head over night in a descaler or white vinegar.
The heads scaled causing the flow through the shower to reduce so becoming hotter.
You've proved the fault yourself by it working with head removed.

Trouble with chopping/changing head is they don't always work on different showers, the cheap brands are the worst for this ie bq etc and will cause the tco or the prd to activate as they can resrict the flow to much.
I always try to stick with a top brand head or the head made for that shower.

What Gainsborough is it, model ?

Sponsored Links
It is a Gainsborough Energy 1000+.

We've tried the descaling route and whilst it makes a slight difference, it still runs too hot.

I think you may have come close to an answer though, I need to look at showerheads that have larger holes, as this will increase the water flow. This was why I had thought about just enlarging the holes on the current showerhead.

Cheers!
Paul

We've tried the descaling route and whilst it makes a slight difference, it still runs too hot.
That tells me it hasn't been a fully successful job.

I think you may have come close to an answer though, I need to look at showerheads that have larger holes, as this will increase the water flow. This was why I had thought about just enlarging the holes on the current showerhead.

Enlarging the holes can bugger up the spray pattern altogether.
I see if i can find the part number from the proper head for it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back