Shower runs hot... then cold... then hot... allegedly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

Installed in my flat is a Triton Ivory 2 8.5 KW electric shower model number H12.

I am informed by my tenant that the shower occasionally will run hot, then cold, then hot.

I visited and ran the shower on my hand for 5-7 minutes. Adjusted the temperature up, then down, then back up.

I in all honesty did not notice any temperature fluctuations. Water flow was expected for a shower of this type. The operating noise does not sound untoward.

I ran the cold tap in the bathroom, and the water came out at a fair old lick. I've not had any complaints about water pressure.

I wonder if running the shower for 5 minutes was enough ? - thoughts please. Maybe I should have taken a shower !

For the sake of harmony, I am minded to buy a brand new similarly specced shower for around £100, install and hopefully resolve the issue.

Thinking ahead, if the installation of a brand new similarly specced shower does not resolve the issue, then what else could cause the hot-cold-hot issue and what can I do about it ?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
water pressure varies thought the day so really you need to test it at the same time they usually use the shower

Also, most models of electric showers need a certain minimum flow through them. They don't modulate the electricity use down, they blast 8.5kW into it constantly and rely on the user opening a tap to increase flow. Faster flow = water spends less time in contact with a heater element = water emits cooler. Shutting the flow down causes water to emit warmer

If the flow becomes too slow, then the shower will overheat the water, and a protection device kicks in and turns off the heater, the water goes cold, the protection resets, the water overheats, the protection device kicks in again, over and over.

Show your user how to work the shower (or get them to show you how they work it); it could purely be their level of ignorance in thinking "I like a hot shower, I'll crank the heat dial all the way round to 11" and this starts the on/off cycle of the protection. In particular they may hear a hissing sound like a kettle just starting to boil before the water goes cold. This is indicative of too low flow causing excess heat rise in the water (it's being boiled just adjacent to the heater)

Sponsored Links
Run the shower with and without the shower head and then run it and take temperature reading, If the temp stays stable then that's all the checks that can be done to confirm that all is ok.

As with an electric shower though, unless it thermostatic then it can get temp swings when the cold water is turned on and off in other locations that uses the same cold supply, as the shower element has to catch up with the change in flow/pressure especially with an 8.5Kw,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back