Shower tile come loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
novice here when it comes to tiling…

my shower has had tiles come loose, looks like the grout has cracked and then been getting wet underneath but not 100% sure.

Wondering if I should be concerned if water has penetrated further?

Happy to get someone if it’s not a simple fix but looking for advice!

cheers

Attachments

• F6B82DE3-041E-4C06-B925-FD14CBF284BF.jpeg
    F6B82DE3-041E-4C06-B925-FD14CBF284BF.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2603EDFD-855F-4A1E-B532-06C1BED461F1.jpeg
    2603EDFD-855F-4A1E-B532-06C1BED461F1.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Only a DIY'er, but to me it looks as if those tiles have come adrift from the adhesive mesh backing.
If that's the case, it may be that more of them will come off sooner or later.
You could be better off taking them all up and starting again. :(

Grout is not water impermeable - on a shower floor, you would expect some dampness under the tiles at least in places, especially near the lowest point/drain. That's why you always tank a shower.

The mesh backer is only intended to hold the tiles neatly in formation - once they are bedded down in place and assuming sufficient coverage, the tile adhesive takes over and the mesh is doing nothing.

What adhesive was used?

Grout is not water impermeable - on a shower floor, you would expect some dampness under the tiles at least in places, especially near the lowest point/drain.

The mesh backer is only intended to hold the tiles neatly in formation - once they are bedded down in place the tile adhesive takes over and the mesh is doing nothing.

What adhesive was used?
Cheers for the info.
Im not sure as they were fitted before I moved in.

I was thinking to grind back then flooring so I can lay some level of adhesive down and then replace and regrout?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the rest of the tiles are secure that seems like the appropriate remedy.

Just don't go mad 'grinding back' as assuming that there's tanking underneath, you do not want to damage that.

Then use a cement based tile adhesive to replace the tiles.

Then get that silicone sorted :sick:

The mesh backer is only intended to hold the tiles neatly in formation - once they are bedded down in place and assuming sufficient coverage, the tile adhesive takes over and the mesh is doing nothing.
Yes, totally agree - but in this case, looking at the images, there is very little adhesive coming past the mesh and no tell tale marks on the back of the tiles.
The mesh is what had stuck the tiles to the adhesive and when the mesh glue went, the tiles came up.

And if this isn't just an isolated area, I'm afraid that more tiles may come up.

Yes, totally agree - but in this case, looking at the images, there is very little adhesive coming past the mesh and no tell tale marks on the back of the tiles.
The mesh is what had stuck the tiles to the adhesive and when the mesh glue went, the tiles came up.

And if this isn't just an isolated area, I'm afraid that more tiles may come up.

Agree with that. Apart from the one at the top left, it looks like there wasn't enough adhesive or the tiles weren't bedded down onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back