Loose tiles as bottom of shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a row of 4-5 tiles at the bottom of our shower where they meet the tray, that feel loose (e.g. slight movement when pressed). One feels really loose, the grout has cracked and it can be rocked back and forth.

It’s on the side wall (the wall joining the one the shower head is attached to).

The tiling is prob around 20 years old. What will have caused this, and how bad is the fix likely to be?

Currently have some waterproof tape over the grout lines. I’m a bit apprehensive to take it he tiles off and look behind them, until I know what I’m likely to have to do to either fix it myself, or get someone in to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Water has got behind and caused them to come loose. If its been a while like that the wall behind could be sodden, plaster will be crumbly or plasterboard will be mushy.

I did a similar repair for a customer last year. The water had crept up 3/4 of the wall and it all to be ripped out and redone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back