Shower Tower Pump ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Wife came home with a shower tower and said fit this !
My problem is the cold water tank is on the second floor and the hot water tank is on the ground floor attached to the boiler (not combi) just central heating boiler.I have reasonable pressure on both just not enough for a tower. My question is can i fit a shower pump near the shower. The hot water is being pumped by the boiler (not sufficient for the tower) from below and the the cold water from the tank above. I know it is more efficient to push the water rather than pull it but i dont seem to have an alternative??? Please help...Thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely that your circulating pump is pumping your hotwater, it pumps water around a coil inside the HW cylinder and the radiators, this is called an indirect heating system.

The pressure in the hot water tank is from the head of water in the cold tank on the second floor.

What floor is the shower going on?

You should have dedicated hot & cold feeds from the CW tank & HW cylinder via the pump to the tower, this will avoid the temp being affected by other people drawing water at the same time, you should also use a suitable flange on the cylinder to prevent air entering the pipework.

Does your existing CW tank have the capacity to feed the shower?

Will the shower head be above the level of the CW tank, if so you will need a pump that can cope with negative head.

It is better to have the pump pushing but you may have to compromise.

Jason

Thanks jason for the reply,

The shower is located on the first floor probably the cw tank is as far up as the hot water tank is down resonably central between the two.
The cw tank should be adequate to supply the shower but i thought i could make life easier by fitting the pump to the hot and cold supply that only feeds the shower but am concerned as you say about air locks which are probably more likely by pulling the water rather than pushing it. There is quite a fall from the cw tank which at present gives quite a good pressure. As you can see Plumbing is not my greatest attribute.

Many Thanks

Mike

also ( from what i have read on these forums) you may have to increase the size of the water storage tanks

best option take shower tower back ;)

Sponsored Links
You need a big pump, a big cold tank, a big hot tank, big pipes, a big budget.... unless you're happy to use just one head at a time. Join a gym and use theirs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back