Shower trap leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A wet patch appeared on the newly plastered kitchen ceiling (see pictures). The plasterboard brittle matches the first floor shower drain location.
The Kudos walk-in shower sits on the first floor bathroom.
I removed the shower cover to expose the shower trap (which looks like a MCAlpine make - but not sure of it) and noticed scale built on the trap itself as water has been dripping for a while.
I briefly run the shower to see whether water would drip but no success.
The drain blocked up on a regular basis and I use powerful drain product to remove blockages.
Recently a plumber show me how to clear the drain and since then I did't use the drain liquid any more.
Please could anyone advise how to fix the leak?

Many thanks

Attachments

• ceiling.JPG
    ceiling.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9530.JPG
    IMG_9530.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9536.JPG
    IMG_9536.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9561.JPG
    IMG_9561.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 99
  • kudos.JPG
    kudos.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 109
  • trap side.JPG
    trap side.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 100
  • trap top.JPG
    trap top.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 116
  • trap1.JPG
    trap1.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 101
  • trap5.JPG
    trap5.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 119
  • trapscale.JPG
    trapscale.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Well. Seeing as you have relatively easy access, I'd just change it for a new one and make sure the mating surface is smoothed clear of existing scale.

May just be my eyes but in pic img_9530 the lip of the trap looks like it's cracked, when weight goes on the tray the seal moves and makes it leak, stand in the shower and use blue roll below the trap, if it gets wet replace the trap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks dilalio; I hope I can remove the trap rotating and taking it out without need to lift the shower..
Thanks Madrab you are right.. it seems very much an hairline crack that would explain the leak..
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back