Shower tray / frame installation on non right angled walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are installing a new shower cubicle in our bathroom. The walls are block concrete with a plaster skim.

The problem we have is fairly standard I guess - the walls aren't right angles. So what I would love is some views / opinions on the two solutions I can think of - see below:

1. Chisel out a bit from the recessed corner wall so that the frame fits better into the space. And then also fit the frame in the middle of the space so that the gap is on both edges of the frame (and tray once installed). Hopefully with a bit of chiselling it will reduce the gap, plus I have some aqua strap for the tray once installed so hoping that will bridge the remaining gap to the wall and create a water tight seal

2. Position the frame flat against one wall and then tile into the space created on the other wall (see extra pic). Essentially build up the wall in that gap and then hope to level the wall through final tiling and a bit of on the fly adjustments with liberal use of tile adhesive etc

Any thoughts on proposed solutions - or better ones - gratefully received!

Cheers

R

Sponsored Links
I cant see for sure but you appear to be leaving the skirting in behind your frame - this will push you off the wall, if its indeed the case.

The walls can be pulled out, and squared and plumbed, using cement backer boards.

Or rendering out floating coats of S&C similar to the backer boards.

FWIW: before any wet fixture work is started you must have a drainage outlet and a hot and cold supply designed in.

Might seem obvious but have you checked the frame itself is square (by measuring the two diagonals - only when they are the exact same dimension is the frame square.

My choice would be to build out one wall (or both if not flat) using a sheet of waterproof plywood and then cover with aquapanel or whatever before tiling.

You might want to consider building out one wall in any case to allow fitting of the shower pipework and valve assembly.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for advice - ended up boxing in one of the walls to create 90 degree angle and at same time create space for control valve

Works well and fit of tray to space so much better so worth the effort!

R

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back