Shower Tray Sealant

S

Shutpa

Shower unit which was installed 4 years ago started to leak water between the bottom rail and the shower base. As we were going on holiday, I removed all of the grouting and allowed the whole thing to dry out during the three weeks we were on holiday. Re-sealed using clear mastic and left for 24 hours before using the shower again. Some of the sealant has now turned white and gone very soft. Clearly I've done something wrong but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Shower unit which was installed 4 years ago started to leak water between the bottom rail and the shower base. As we were going on holiday, I removed all of the grouting and allowed the whole thing to dry out during the three weeks we were on holiday. Re-sealed using clear mastic and left for 24 hours before using the shower again. Some of the sealant has now turned white and gone very soft. Clearly I've done something wrong but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

If it`s not leaking, you`ve done it right. Chill Dude... ;)

Have just noticed that after 2 weeks, the new sealant has gone black and mouldy in places and Mrs B wants it replaced. Is there a sealant remover product available anywhere?

Have just noticed that after 2 weeks, the new sealant has gone black and mouldy in places and Mrs B wants it replaced. Is there a sealant remover product available anywhere?

So the shower ain`t leaking no more and your missus don`t like the colour of the sealant. Yeah, there is a sealer remover product out at this time............you. ;)

Sponsored Links
Silicone Eater, Toolstation,£2.21 for a 100ml pot. Then reseal with an anti-fungicidal silicone,preferably Dow-Corning.

Dow is the one i would use also, quality product, doesnt spill out for 5 mins after you let go of the trigger like cheap stuff.

Silicone Eater, Toolstation,£2.21 for a 100ml pot. Then reseal with an anti-fungicidal silicone,preferably Dow-Corning.

Does that actually work then? Last time I tried a Silicone remover (can't remember the brand now) it just made a huge mess and didn't actually do much to the silicone.

Does that actually work then? Last time I tried a Silicone remover (can't remember the brand now) it just made a huge mess and didn't actually do much to the silicone.

Nope, they`ve just looked it up on t`internet, most silicone removers just soften them, still a pain to remove, usually with a stanley knife blade & cloth.

Thanks for that Bahco there's a branch quite near here. Dow Corning have just said that there isn't a distributer here, the nearest one being Glasgow.

And they keep the remover 50080 and 26107. I used the first one recently to good effect when refitting the existing tiles in part of a bathroom. The key is to remove as much as possible of the silicon first. I used a scalpel blade and shaved as much away as possible. One application of the remover cleared nearly all of the residue with a second spot treatment for the remainder.

I cut a pointed-handled toothbrush to about half its thickness, flattened it on the sander. It worked a treat on both the aluminium and the base without any chance of scratching either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back