Shower Tray Waterproof Upstand Quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Tiling Gods, please answer me in my hour of need.

Im doing my own bathroom renovation, as I'm skint and basically an idiot. But I'm quite a handy idiot, who's not afraid of jobs like this. I have a Degree in YouTube, and have watched enough tiling videos to make Roger Bisby's toes curl.

So, the shower base is in, and I'm reasonable pleased with it. The only issue is the gap between the "bottom end" of the shower (ie the end where the water isn't, mostly) and the cement board is bigger than I expected, and on the wonk, and I'm going to struggle to fill it with adhesive and tiles. It's 18mm from cement board to base, as you can see in the photos. I was thinking I could add another 6mm cement board to that wall to bring it out. It already has 12mm on studs, so that might be a bit heavy. That's the end of the shower you walk in, the water end is on the left, and the blue thing is a Classi Seal Waterproof Upstand.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance...

PXL_20230702_160410056.jpg

PXL_20230702_160413886.jpg
PXL_20230702_160417160.jpg

PXL_20230702_160428057.jpg

PXL_20230702_160431179.jpg

PXL_20230701_172733755.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's annoying :confused: I'm not a tiler but I can't see why you couldn't do what you suggested and add another 6mm cement board. Other than tear the room apart I can't really think of an alternative option. Looks like you're doing a good job so far, hope you get it sorted (y)

Andy

Sponsored Links
That's annoying :confused: I'm not a tiler but I can't see why you couldn't do what you suggested and add another 6mm cement board. Other than tear the room apart I can't really think of an alternative option. Looks like you're doing a good job so far, hope you get it sorted (y)

Andy
Cheers Andy. I'm just concerned at the extra weight on a stud wall. Hopefully a tiler will be along shortly and tell me to go for it

Cheers Andy. I'm just concerned at the extra weight on a stud wall. Hopefully a tiler will be along shortly and tell me to go for it
I seriously doubt that weight would be an issue, I'm currently installing 12mm aquapanel cement boards in my bathroom and they aren't that heavy, the load is vertical so if anything the floor joists are taking the load (presuming it's an house and not a bungalow with a concrete floor). If you are worried about weight, (which i really don't think you need to be) there are cement coated foam core boards that weigh literally nothing compared to a cement board. Like this........

I seriously doubt that weight would be an issue, I'm currently installing 12mm aquapanel cement boards in my bathroom and they aren't that heavy, the load is vertical so if anything the floor joists are taking the load (presuming it's an house and not a bungalow with a concrete floor). If you are worried about weight, (which i really don't think you need to be) there are cement coated foam core boards that weigh literally nothing compared to a cement board. Like this........

That's a great shout, I'll go for those. Thanks for the suggestion Andy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back