Shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help. Fitting a shower tray , first time, I have read all I can and am still confused. I have an offset quadrant tray 760x900 bought the legs and was going to fit legs put in place seal and tile. But now I'm reading about "bedding in" mortar mixes etc. Help!. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What type of tray is it, fibre glass (light & sounds hollow when tapped possibly like your bath), stone resin (heavy & looks like concrete on the back) or ceramic (looks like your sink/toilet on both front & back?

Stone resin should be bed on a weak mortar mix or there is a good chance it will crack; ceramic can be bed on the same or on silicone; fibre glass trays usually just sit on an embedded frame underneath with adjustable legs; so if you’ve got legs & assuming they came with the tray, that’s all you should need although additional timber support after adjustment is always a good idea. What ever type you have, it’s important that the floor supporting the tray is rigid, if the tray has any movement you’ll have problems. Tile down to with 2mm of the top of the tray & seal the gap with silicone, if you use grout it will crack.

What are you tiling onto? What type of tiles do you have? Before you go rushing in, you should read the Tiling Sticky & Tiling Forum archive posts, if you’ve no previous experience, you could be heading for disaster if you don’t prepare correctly or make the wrong choice of tiling products.

From you other post, is Ray316 your husband then?

The Unique construction of our designer trays slimline products guarantees a luxury yet durable shower tray. Our slimline trays are capped in acrylic making the tray lightweight yet solid, the undertray has a sturdy backboard completely encapsulated with Libranite, giving the absolute ultimate in strength and rigidity. This is a product that until now was normally only coated on top quality baths.

That's the product description . ?

Have been reading for 3 days but lots of conflicting ways of doing things.

Sponsored Links
Please can anyone help. Fitting a shower tray , first time, I have read all I can and am still confused. I have an offset quadrant tray 760x900 bought the legs and was going to fit legs put in place seal and tile. But now I'm reading about "bedding in" mortar mixes etc. Help!. :confused:

how big is the waste that you have for it...this will detrmine if bedding in or the use of legs..?

i take it the tray is from 22mm -45mm thick??...

how big is the waste that you have for it...this will detrmine if bedding in or the use of legs..?

i take it the tray is from 22mm -45mm thick??...

also what is the subtrate you are fixing onto..concrtete/wooden etc..

the diameter of the outlet is 900 mm and we will be fitting a hi flo outlet

the base the shower tray will be resting on , is, new 6x1 floorboards with a hardboard cover ,unsure whether it will also require ply wood base

the legs are 100 mm high and will have a surround when completed

mth
reading thro the mfr info, this tray can be used either way you would like

on legs or you can just fit it onto the joists like a former,so you will have plenty of room for the way and run..other way is to build it onto 2x2 overboard with 18mm ply and set tray onto it.

just ensure the floor subtrate you fix it to is flex free.. ;)

mth
reading thro the mfr info, this tray can be used either way you would like

on legs or you can just fit it onto the joists like a former,so you will have plenty of room for the waste and run..other way is to build it onto 2x2 overboard with 18mm ply and set tray onto it.

just ensure the floor subtrate you fix it to is flex free.. ;)

Thanks a lot feeling a bit more confident now. Still waiting for ordered tiles so slowly does it.

Ahh well not much more I can add now really. As you see OP, tilers can be a bit like busses, you wait ages for one & then all of a sudden 3 come along at once :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back