Shower trays - ABS Acrylic capped polyurethane foam v stone resin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was all set to buy a stone resin shower tray from VictoriaPlum but noticed that they also sell a foam one too, £40 cheaper. As I'm replacing the complete bathroom, any cost saving is of interest, but not at the expense of quality.
It will be on a first floor with t+g flooring that I was planning to replace with marine ply in the shower area.
The stone one sounds more robust to me but needs to be set onto a cement base. Is this also the case with the foam type? Is there a benefit or problem with either? Is one easier to install for example.

Sponsored Links
That's what I was thinking, but a second opinion is always helpful !

During my trawl of the 'net about this I found Coram trays. They are riser trays, so much higher than what I was planning, but they have sturdy adustable legs fitted. This promises quicker installation, another key factor due to our bathroom needing to be 'out of action' for the minimum time. It doesn't say whether they are stone or foam, but any one had any dealings with them?
http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...-Tray-with-Upstands-Waste-4-Size-Options.aspx

They're OK. Mira Flight are better, and the Flight Low range are low-profile trays that can be fitted with legs if needed

Sponsored Links
My worry with a leg support system is that the weight of the person in the shower is not evenly distributed. Then again, an acrylic bath with shower over is similar I suppose and at least the legs can be adjusted in future if required.
Choices, choices !
Probably going to stick with a low stone resin tray....unless there are issues with movement on suspended floors with these????

If there's an opportunity to fit it flat to the floor, there's no reason at all why this should not be done

As far as I know, there is clearance under the floor boards for the waste/pipe work and the joists go the right way to allow the wastepipe to be fitted along side.

So long as a cement base is OK to use on a wooden suspended floor....

So long as a cement base is OK to use on a wooden suspended floor....
Totally ok, the cement is just there to fill any gaps between the tray and the floor below so that it is properly supported over the entire area.

Thanks flameport. The house was built in the 1940's so I'm just concerned about a fixed cement structure being effected by any flex in the old wooden joists, that's all.

If you're concerned about movement, take the floor up and reinforce under it before you fit the tray

I'd be more worried about buying from Victoria Plumb than what material it is made from..

Nozzle

If you're concerned about movement, take the floor up and reinforce under it before you fit the tray
True. The floor is coming up anyway, to be replaced with water resistant chipboard and marine ply in the shower area, so I could do it then.

I urge you to do some independent research. I've heard some of their stuff is also quite non-standard which can make getting repairs done a right pain in the ring. I've used The Bath Store with no trouble though, and they have actual stores on the actual high street that employe actual sales people. Know what you need before you go though. Or even give your local independent a try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back