shower trips RCD

Sponsored Links
How long have you got? :LOL:

Can you provide us with some particulars of the installation:

rating of heater in shower
length of cable run to shower
rating of protective device (fuse/MCB)
Are you sure its the RCD and not the MCB tripping? (many people mix the terms up, just checking)
Age of the shower
Age of the wiring
Age of the fusebox/consumer unit
And one last thing, open up the pullswitch to the shower and check for overheating or damage. This is a hotspot for shower circuit failure.

Hi, since I live in the property for abot 18 months, I am not able to answer all the questions.

rating?
length? I am not able to locate the shower.
rating of MCB (originally it was a 5A fuse, I replaced it with a 13A one)
I am sure it is RCD
Age, wiring fusebox age ?
I did not see any problems with the pullswitch.

Thanks

WHen you say shower, do you mean a shower pump, ie a power shower, or do you mean an electrically heated shower?

I suspect the former, if you are saying that is has a 13A fuse (MCBs don't come in 5 or 13A). 13A is not enough current to supply an electrically heated shower.

Do you have a fused connection unit with a 13A plugtop type fuse in?

Picture of the item with the 13A fuse in would help, as would a picture of your consumer unit showing the breakers.

Sponsored Links
It is a shower pump.
Interestingly it is working now.
Probably humidity caused leakage.
Thanks.

not likely to be humidity. More likely a water leak getting into the wiring (this is very undesirable and needs investigation and correction)

And why on earth did you change a 5A fuse for a 13A one???????

That's a really strange place to have a shower. Mine's in a far more sensible location...on the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back