Shower wall union removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
the plastic wall union for our shower has a small crack in it so is leaking.

I've unscrewed the old one and it has a female end, with a length of pipe (pictured) in the recess which is screws onto.

Purchased a new elbow (pictured) which has this male end integrated, i'm assuming the old pipe should've came out with it so needs removed from whatever female end is in the recess but can't seem to get the right socket or hex size to get it done (or am i going about it the wrong way)

The old pipe seems to have groves in the opening for a hex key, 10mm was too small i'm fairly sure it's a male 1/2" so is it a 12-13 mm hex i need to extract it? or do i need a deep socket of somesize to go round that larger connection (22mm was nowhere near big enough)

Any help would be great
old
old1.jpg old2.jpg

new
new1.jpg new2.jpg

Sponsored Links
okie dokie grand i've to go and pick up some new upvc handles so i'll grab one of the radiator keys and hopefully that sorts it :)

so the nipple might be like a male/female bypass? e.g feedpipe(f) <m()nipple(f) < (m)union(m) <outlet?

if i needed to unscrew that nut/nipple it's on what likely socket is that to be if the hole/pipe is a 1/2" bsp ? my 3/4" socket was too small for it

thanks for the help it's doing my head in lol

Looking again that might be an offset connector. The nut will be about 1 3/8" across flats not usually done with a socket just grips before making good although you might find a box spanner to fit. IMG_20190806_175635.jpg You may end up having to take a bit of wall out bur see how you go with the hex key first.

Sponsored Links
Looking again that might be an offset connector. The nut will be about 1 3/8" across flats not usually done with a socket just grips before making good although you might find a box spanner to fit. View attachment 169038 You may end up having to take a bit of wall out bur see how you go with the hex key first.

discovered i can make a "small" bit of room, the pipe seems able to pivot up/down a bit, can't see how it's doing it so not trying to move it much (pipe/hole restricts the movement anyway), is there connections like that?
I've used rotary barbs/compression fittings before but can't recall any that would allow you to adjust the angle like that

Does the existing thread protrude from the wall? If so, you may be able to unscrew the threaded part on the new fitting and just screw the new shroud on?

Does the existing thread protrude from the wall? If so, you may be able to unscrew the threaded part on the new fitting and just screw the new shroud on?

it does yup and that's what i was expecting/hoping when i bought the new outlet, just a shroud and some rubber oring/grommet and screw it on all done, but they all seem to come pipe attached.

i think both the old/new is the same sort of setup, that the threaded pipe section is removable but probably not supposed to be since the surround is plastic/likely to be a bit fragile (the instructions for the new one doesn't mention them coming apart for any reason despite having that hex hole in the pipe).
i'm assuming the pipes jammed in over the years and when itthe old shroud cracked causing the leak/i unscrewed it the outlet unscrewed and left the pipe behind since the bond wasn't strong enough anymore.

i think the plastic shroud is likely to break trying to get the new pipe separated from it tbh, it's fairly well in there so i'd need to clamp it/use a bit of force probably

so i'd need to clamp it/use a bit of force probably

Hmm yes, I share your concern. The hex inside the new one was probably used to tighten it. Hope it wasn't expensive.....

so the radiator spanner doesn't fit, too small by a little bit prob 1-2mm

i noticed the inside of the pipe has little groves like 1cm lines from the opening inside like a key does fit in there, fck knows what.

going try take the pipe out of the new outlet and ordered one i think has no pipe in it

failing that it's tiles off and hassle

thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back