Shower Walls in Bathroom

OPJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum as I'd very much be grateful for your advice.

15730091011_ac9325a4fc.jpg

In my bathroom, I've observed this damp growing to the right of my shower's cubicle.

15546829647_0199e828e0.jpg

I noticed a while back that the grouting, particularly around the lowest tiles, was dark, cracked and clearly letting water through each time I used the shower.

15733560152_b5a4467bba.jpg

I'd also noticed a lot of the lower tiles felt loose and, last night, I finally decided to pry them off and take a look... It didn't take much! Tiles were barely held together by the grouting and not a lot else - as each tile was removed, a complete layer of adhesive or plaster/render also came away separately.

The other wall (plasterboard) isn't quite as bad but I'm expecting a similar scenario with the tiling at least.

15730091391_78123be80f.jpg

Once I've removed the rest of the tiles (and called someone in to disconnect the shower), I'm going to need to allow the wall to dry out but what then?

Should I waterproof it? Will it need replastering or rendering?

I was quietly hoping that I could just dry-line it with plasterboard, losing an inch or so from the wall... But I have my doubts.

At the end, I'm more than happy to tile over and grout it properly. I've been trying to look in to the costs of that plastic sheeting but I can't find anything budget friendly and I won't be here long-term.

Thank you for your time. This forum's been a great help in the past.

Olly

Sponsored Links
Ah, thanks! I wondered what I was doing wrong and was partway through creating an album here when your reply came through. :)

Sponsored Links
Okay, time for a brief update on this as I'm now almost certainly going for tiles.

Having removed some more tiles last night, I've realised that the left-hand wall (plasterboard) is not even half as damp as the other. There's only a small amount at the very bottom edge - how should I treat this? Tiles further above those I've removed are holding very well.

Higher up on the right-hand wall and the dampness appears to stop almost in line with the patch that has formed outside the cubicle. There's even a small hollow section, which I'd guess may house some plumbing but the tiles above this are firm and sound.

I now intend to re-plaster the damaged part, once the wall has dried out. Will I need to waterproof it at some point?

In order to do this job properly, I'd still like to remove these tiles on the outer edges. They're not going to go anywhere with the shower frame fixed over them but the adhesive has still failed behind and I intend to remove the two sides of this shower enclosure.

How easy is it to dismantle a shower?

I've noticed screw heads (open and concealed behind caps) but how are they fixed to the base/tray? Would it be straightforward to reassemble the unit?

Thanks, in advance, for all your help.

Shower cabinet is only fixed to wall, usually a wall bracket which the frame slides into and held by a few screws, the base is siliconed and not mechanically fixed to the tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back