Shower Waste on Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting ready to fit my new shower tray, but it appears there is a joist running beneath that is right where my waste needs to go...can i notch the joist and put noggins either side?

Sponsored Links
Probably not, you would need to comply to building regulation part A.
Notches must be in a zone that is from 10% to 25 % of the beam length from both ends.
The depth of the notch must be no greater than one eighth of the joist depth.

Could you turn the tray round?

We had the same problem but the tray had a flat rim so the screen could go on either side meaning we could just turn it round.

it is unfortunately a shaped tray and cannot be turned around! i need to see whether i have room to move it away from the joist and box out away from the main wall :(

Sponsored Links
no, the actual waster will travel between the joists....it is the trap that will be directly on top ofthe joist

no, the actual waster will travel between the joists....it is the trap that will be directly on top ofthe joist
If the tray cannot be re-positioned to allow the trap to sit in between joists and you can not comply to the maximum allowance of notching, then you need a different tray or you will have to raise it.

how deep is the joist and how much do you need to notch it and what length is the joist spanning.
PBoD has indicated the regs but we've all bent/broken them in the past. At the end of the day the floor loading is spread over several joists.
Rather than notching it out you might be able to trim it out completely, using hangers, with timber of lesser depth so the waste will fit past.
For example if your joists are 6" then trim them with doubled up 4" either side of the waste and your 40mm pipe might just slip by, either under or over the 4"

sounds like a good plan Chappers, the trimmers...do they just need to go from joists either side?

yep cut out your offending joist, take out as little as you can get away with, then from the untouched joists either side run doubled up 4 x 2 between each other, picking up the loose ends of the cut joist

We had the same problem .
So did we, so I bought a tray that orientated the waste away from any joists. It's doable and most sites provide a specification with measurements etc. This can be sorted at the buying stage.

So did we, so I bought a tray that orientated the waste away from any joists. It's doable and most sites provide a specification with measurements etc. This can be sorted at the buying stage.
This is very true, but I suspect we are too far down the line on this particular one now.
You and I are aware to check these things in advance.

totally correct Chappers! too far down the line!!! It is something that i didn't think of at the buying stage. I think i might still be in the returns period so i am looking into changing the whole shower enclosure with one that has the waste in a different position - otherwise i think there will be some joist cutting!!!

totally correct Chappers! too far down the line!!! It is something that i didn't think of at the buying stage. I think i might still be in the returns period so i am looking into changing the whole shower enclosure with one that has the waste in a different position - otherwise i think there will be some joist cutting!!!

If you are only notching one, in a set area I think you would get away with it. I would be looking to brace the joist on either side of it with some thoroughly bolted in wooden braces to ensure the joist isn't weakened over all & then notch it accordingly.

Regulations are fairly clear on this so be aware of them & research ways round/judge accordingly. But I am yet to come across a house that hasn't been bodged when it comes to joists & adapting them for bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back