Shower will not warm up ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Property :- Three year old apartment. The ceiling pull cord for my electric shower jammed yesterday in the off position. So I decided to replace it with a new one, when I exposed the switch from the housing I found that the negative wire was loose in its brass clamp and had been arking causing the plastic to heat up and warp, hence the jamming of the switch. Having replaced the switch and tried the shower, the red shower led comes and the shower runs, but the water remains cold ! any clues please. p,s the red neon on the pull switch is on all the time ( off or on ) have I wired it correctly ?

Sponsored Links
check the terminals in the switch.

supply = mains IN (from fusebox)

load = mains OUT (to shower)

(I suspect you have mixed up the 2 above)

red/brown = live L
black/blue = neutral N

Did you cut back the damaged wire? This is a common fault with pullswitches - loose neutrals.

Hi Crafty1289, thanks for the reply, no I did not cut back the damaged wire, did not seem to bad. What I can,t understand is though, the led on the actual shower box is lighting up. are you saying its not allowing enough amps through, because of the damaged wire ? regards

no. wire the pullswitch up correctly for a start. It could be that you've crossed neutral and live and thus the LED will work on the shower, but the heater can wont.

rewire the switch, preferably cutting back the damaged wire, especially if its brittle and hard. Take note of the L and N notation of the switch, and the IN (supply) and OUT (load) notation too

Sponsored Links
If you dont completely cut off ALL of the damaged cable then you will have another burnt out shower switch in a few weeks time, then another and another.....

Thanks so much for your help, crafty1289 and RF lighting, works a treat now ! Merry Christmas to you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back