Shower won't turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When an electric shower is turned on it works fine but the cold water still runs when it is turned off.
The only way to stop the shower working is to turn the stop cock off.
What is wrong and how can it be rectified?.
Cheers
The Friendly Plumber
Sorry forget to tick the check box for a reply

Sponsored Links
I was going to say ask a plumber but then I saw that you signed off as "The friendly plumber".

As this is a DIY site perhaps you would have better success if you posted on the Institute of Plumbing website?

As you did not mention the make and model of shower I dont see how anyone would have much of a chance of guessing what the problem might be.

Are you new to plumbing as one would expect a plumber to already know all about shower etc.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I agree with Tony. You don't sound as if you should be offering to repair electric showers (on a professional basis) in the first place. Repairs should only be attempted by those with a good understanding of the principles of operation and the potential dangers of working with electricity, especially in association with water.

I did not actually say that Chris, although I might have thought it!

Kev see ...

http://www.iphe.org.uk/index.html

I thought you had a full list of all the sites on the web as well as all the pictures in the universe.

Tony

I went there too once before but I found it full of scruffy people!

Tony

If it's a Mira sport or zest it could be the pilot valve. They are known to scream (noise), let only a trickle of water through or not shut off.
It doesn't take the brains of britain to change just make sure leccy and water are isolated first.

I am simply a bit of an odd job man who does small plumbing jobs and the shower is a Mira sport in my own home.
Any help is always appreciated.
Best wishes
Jim Doodson

Right, now we know who you ar we will try to help.

I am not an expert on showers but some are electrically controlled and use solenoid valves to turn on the water. These are similar to the ones in washing machines.

Similarly to washing machines, the valves can be held on by a bit of dirt under the diaphragm. Not all can be taken apart. If water flows when the coil is not activated then its faulty.

Some use a reed switch to detect water flow. This is activated by a moving magnet encased in plastic. Sometimes these stick and need to be replaced or cleaned out.

I do have to say that a reed switch does not usually turn water on/off its normally used for pumps or heaters.

There is a suggestion of a "pilot" valve above. I dont know about that but he seems to be familiar with your model. I only look at them for VERY good friends.

Finally a combination of water and electricity is VERY dangerous. I am NOT in any way encouraging you to do work you are not safe to do! Better to let a professional electrocute himself.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back