Showering Shennanigans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to fix a sink in a friend's flat a few days ago. Noticed there was an electric shower in the bathroom. Anyway, as I was leaving I looked up and saw the CU. A Wylex (similar to the one in the link, but not the same) of around 20 years old I reckon (it is identical to mine, which is 20 years old :D ). But then I noticed there was an identical one right next to it. "Odd", I thought.

Anyway, then I realised that the second CU, which I presume was feeding the shower, had been "modified", shall we say. The Wylex I am referring to is the type with rewireable blade-type fuses. Six way, with a plastic cover that goes over the fuses and then fixes in place with a screw.

The shower CU had part of the fuse cover sawn off (quite roughly too!), and someone had installed a 45A MCB into it. I didn't realise it was possible to buy MCBs in a blade format, but somehow someone fitted one. By the, shall we say, "jaunty" angle of the MCB I would presume that it was not standard.

Obviously the guy living there doesn't know who installed this, but I hope whoever it was hasn't touched anything electrical since! I thought there was an electrical inspection certificate required for rented properties anyway...

Sponsored Links
you can get plug in mcbs for the qylex standard range
and iirc you do need to cut a hole in the ocver to fit them (if indeed the cover is still there)

But Wylex units with an isolator of less than 100A are not designed for breakers > 32A.

that is why the breaker is at a "jaunty" angle, because the shield has a protrusion to prevent installation (I know, it obviously doesn't work...).

i'm pretty sure that neither of the sites i know that sells wylex standard mentions this
and i don't rememebr seeing it in the wylex catalogue either

Sponsored Links
Rented properites HAVE to have a gas safety inspection and certificate every year, the furniture HAS to be non-flammable, but the wiring/electrical appliances only SHOULD be regularly inspected and kept in good repair.
So, landlords aren't allowed to kill tenants by gas poisoning or furniture fires......but they're allowed to give them a little shock now and again! :LOL:

(disclaimer*: the writer of this message does not in any way condone the electrocution of tenents, or anybody else for that matter)

*because somebody is bound to post a reply giving precise figures of death/injury caused by shoddy electrics in rented properties.

Plug

On the back of the 40A plug in breaker shield, you will find a plastic tab. These sheilds do not fit boxes with sub 100A iso's but do fit the 100's.

Plug

But if you don't believe me, ring Ian Kenworthy at Wylex Factory in Manchester. 0161 998 5454

wylexpants.gif

That may well be, Jim.

But there are zillions of Wylex boards out there, some dating back to the 50's. We have to work with them, and warn people of the dangers of abusing them.

As we are endowed with knowledge, it is our duty to share it, mate!

It was definitely a 60A CU... I noticed the writing on it saying "maximum load 60A" and wondering why they hadn't just replaced the old Wylex with a more suitable 100A CU...

Are Wylex poo? I have only ever pulled fuses and used main switches on them, never fiddled with its insides. But I think pretty much every CU I have ever seen installed in a house or flat was a Wylex... I suppose it is like a bottom-of-the-range Ford Focus: a bit crap but it does the job, so they sold millions of them (apologies to anyone who has a Ford Focus, I often get them as hirecars and had a bad experience with a mis-handling one once :p )

Nice to know the reason for the "jaunty" 45A MCB! I don't like the idea of cutting holes in a CU to install an MCB, surprised they allowed that...

was the shower the only thing in the second CU
if so its safe current wise but i would still advise replacement to get a rcd on the shower

securespark said:
some dating back to the 50's.

And did they think to update the styling even once in those 50 years?! Seriously, what is up with that?! I bet that every ten years they get a new guy straight out of college who suggests "Well, I was thinking if we just changed the styling a teensy bit...". And he gets the sack.

I bet the chief of design at Wylex probably eats digestive biscuits and gets frightened when someone offers him a Hobnob. He fears change...

I bet in 500 years when our descendents are flying around the galaxy in the Starship Enterprise, each flat on spacestation 47 will be fitted with a Wylex 60A CU. It will look exactly the same, and some gimp will still be hammering 45A MCBs into them.

plugwash said:
was the shower the only thing in the second CU
if so its safe current wise but i would still advise replacement to get a rcd on the shower

I couldn't tell as the remains of the cover were on, but I would think that it was. It is a 1 bed flat, so the first CU should be handling all of that.

I do think that they should get a new 100A CU to replace the original pair, and an RCD or RCBO for the shower, but unfortunately it is a rented flat and he can't get them to do anything to it. I think for some people, buy-to-let seems like a great idea right up until the part where they have to spend a bit of money on the place!

Just a thought, wouldn't this place have a 60A meter fuse? It also has an electric oven and hob... Could be fun if someone wants to stick a pie in the oven whilst they have a shower!

AdamW said:
Could be fun if someone wants to stick a pie in the oven whilst they have a shower!

now that WOULD be clever.stick a pie in the oven whilst they have a shower!

is this oven in the bathroom, or is the shower in the oven? :LOL:

edited to add, yes i realise what you actualy do,it just reads "funny" to me

you put the pie in the oven first and turn it on
then go for your shower while its cooking ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back