Showers off 3-phase, phase to each shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at putting some electric showers in at my local sports club, they have two already but want to add a third shower and upgrade all three from 7kw to 10.5kw. Current two showers run off one consumer unit with 40A RCBOs, but the unit won't take a third shower especially with the extra load. I'm aware we'll need to upgrade the existing RCBOs to take a higher load.

The incoming supply is three phase, with one phase running to each of three consumer units. Is it permissible to run the showers off different consumer units, and therefore different phases? Each shower will be enclosed in its own solid-wall cubicle, but they will all be in the same building.

Sponsored Links
Rather than pulling 3 seperate supplies from various different DBs, would it not be possible to run a new submains from the incommer and have a DB near(ish) the showers?

Also see holmslaws post re water pressure above.

You're a plumbing and heating engineer?

Are you yourself doing the electrical work?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with your theory from an electrical POV, but what about water pressure, is it high enough to be able to feed three showers operating simultaeneously.

Ideal, thanks for the water tip, I'm a plumbing & heating engineer, the pressure is fine ;)

RF - the incoming mains is the other side of a dividing wall between the showers and another part of the building so that might be possible, but we're after the cheapest safe & legal option here...

Sparkwright - well spotted, no I'm not doing the electrics myself, me + electrics often = BANG, just in the early planning phase on this one and wanting to know what's possible.

Would it be worth using a hot water cylinder with immersion heaters to supply the showers with hot water. Provided there is a way to swith on the heaters in good time before the showers are needed the electrical load can be reduced and spread over several hours.

Or use a warm water tank to supply the electric showers which can then be lower power units thus reducing he electrical laod while showering.

Electric showers are not suitable for almost constant use in a sports centre. We were advised against using them in our factory showers by a well known shower manufacturer.

Depends where it is, i know of sailing clubs where the showers are all instant electric, and off differing phases.

Use is sporadic and infrequent (mainly weekends, and a odd times, depending on whats going on) so they work fine. The same could proberbly be said for a football or simular club, but not for a leisure center or simular i wouldnt have thought.

Daniel

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The showers would only normally be used first thing in the morning, by up to 30 people staying on site, but usage is very unpredictable, sometimes only one or two may want showers, hence I think electric is best. Gas would be nice, but its more expensive to install and maintain, and we don't have a gas supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back