Showers - pull cords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my shower at home it is a pull cord (the light indicateds that the heat is on) the water comes through regardless of whether the cord is pulled on or not (if it is not on the water is cold) Anyway my problem is that now when I pull the cord the light doesn't come on and the water in the shower won't get hot - any ideas??? There is water coming through so the shower works it just seems to be a hearting element?? Where do I start in trying the get to the bottom of this (there is no fuse in the pull cord)

Thanks

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Hmm, first, work out how to isolate the shower circuit - it should have its own fuse or circuit breaker, then ( with it off, or course )remove the covers on the switch, and on the shower itself. There will be no additional fuses, apart from the one at the fuse board, but you may be able to identify the element, - if you have a meter you can measure the resistance, should be <10 ohms, exact value depends on the rating. If the element is shot, it might be worth replaceing the whole lump, depending on cost of spare parts.
If the light doesn't come on though, it is probably not the element (unless the bulb happens to have died as a co-incidence) so check the supply fuse/circuit breaker is OK, and connections in the back of the pull switch, as it may be that power isn't even reaching the switch.

Never heard of a shower where the water will flow when the power is off, so the unit could have a broken solenoid valve as well.

Sponsored Links
our shower will flow cold when the power is off. The water is from the mains, the power switch (pull cord) only switches the shower on so it can heat the water. I would check the fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back